Help please

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Looking for some help please!! I have these spots on my marbled motoros I am concerned about. She is eating great still pretty active. They are in a smaller tank as I am working on a larger tank for them right now. 75 gallon at the moment. I do 30 percent water change every 3 days. I have added a picture of my ph, nitrites, and nitrates. My nitrates might be a little high. I have another female in there as well, but she has no marks whatsoever. I am hoping it might just be a case of the other female nibbling on here. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Imo you should be doing 30% a day in a 75g with rays.
Looks like slim coat peeling to me from the pictures provided, could be bit marks aswell decent size water changes will help it heal in either case
D davenmandy

Reactions: viper0397

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Imo you should be doing 30% a day in a 75g with rays.
Looks like slim coat peeling to me from the pictures provided, could be bit marks aswell decent size water changes will help it heal in either case
D davenmandy
Great. Thank you!!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya since it's not ammonia burn, it's physical injury that is either just an injury or a fungal or bacterial infection. Hard to tell from pics but I think it's bite marks, sit in front of your tank for half an hour and if your other female bites at her you'll have your answer. Add a bit of salt, hope you have a bigger tank lined up.

Reactions: viper0397

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Ya since it's not ammonia burn, it's physical injury that is either just an injury or a fungal or bacterial infection. Hard to tell from pics but I think it's bite marks, sit in front of your tank for half an hour and if your other female bites at her you'll have your answer. Add a bit of salt, hope you have a bigger tank lined up.
Thank you. I think she might be getting bit. I have a 5'x18" lined up and then after I build a different tank they will have a 8'x2'. They are mini marbled motoros. The mom is proven at 12 inches in diameter. I also have experience with rays as I breed retics. I kept them in this same tank while I got their bigger one setup. I never had any issues with the retics. Never saw this before. Made me nervous.

Reactions: davenmandy

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Understandable man, didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you were doing, motoros in a small tank just tends to be a hair trigger these days, just wanted you to be prepared. I saw your retic mama, well done man, nice marbles, you will be just fine, just make sure it doesn't get infected and your other one might be bites so you may need to move around or separate.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Understandable man, didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you were doing, motoros in a small tank just tends to be a hair trigger these days, just wanted you to be prepared. I saw your retic mama, well done man, nice marbles, you will be just fine, just make sure it doesn't get infected and your other one might be bites so you may need to move around or separate.
No worries! I have a bad habit of getting defensive. I think I might have to separate. :(

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Could be just during feeding or that marble could be too touchy feely for the other ray to the point it's pissing it off, if she gets beat up to the point it is stressing her out then you have a concern, so just monitor for now. My one female had an open wound for like a month from the males breeding attempts, month later and it's healed and though it doesn't look pretty due to some scarring she never missed a beat. That's rays though, they're both tough as nails and real sensitive at the same time, it's weird.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
D davenmandy I will keep an eye on them for a bit. I really appreciate your advice. You might be right about the feeding thing. They are both very aggressive eaters and are all over each other when they feed. I feed 2 times a day. Maybe I will have to step that up. I do notice they both do change shades of color during the day. They go from dark to light, but usually when they are light they are buried in the sand which is normal sand color. Again thank you very much!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store