HELP RESEALING 180 GALLON. PICTURES!!!!!!!

jvasquez9248

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Laredo,TX
I recently bought a 180 gallon tank from someone con CL. The tank was practically free, the person just wanted it out of their new trailer home, they even delivered it and assisted me placing it in my garage. The tank seems a bit old but still good. It has some minor scratches and some lime scale that seems easy to remove. The problem is that the silicone seems a bit old. Its not coming off, nor pealing, and the beads look intact on all inner sides. The problem is the silicone looks a bit discolored and thin on the inner seams of the tank. Which makes makes me believe it could fail in the near future. To be honest I am confident I can reseal the inner part of it, BUT the real problem is the silicon in between the glass, it looks really thin, discolored (yellowish color), and in some areas bubbly. On one area it looks like their might be NO silicone, just glass on glass, but maybe its just me. Oh and yes its missing the center brace, but I have it there, the previous owner gave it to me. I've fix center braces before so thats not a problem for me. Besides I plan on adding a total of 4 braces, instead of the 1 it had. This would give me a greater piece of mind even if its over kill. Let me know what you think, should I reseal the inner part only, or should I take it all apart? The only thing I am afraid of is breaking the glass when I attempt or if I attempt to remove the top and bottom trim. Another possible solution for me would to reseal the inner seams and to build a wooden encasing (close fitting) for the tank to provide extra support without taking it apart.
BTW I havent filled it because i am afraid of damaging it. If the seals are week, It might burst.

Let me know what you all think. Thank you in advance.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I do not see a center brace, leads to me to think its a reptile tank, not a fish tank.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
on closer looks might be the center brace is broke off/ missing

jvasquez9248

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Laredo,TX
It originally did have a center brace, But It came off, I have it with me it a piece of glass ticker than the tanks glass. Im presuming that the person before me, had some weight on it, while it was in their storage. Because the silocone came of the brace. If you pay close attention to the middle you can see that there is a part missing silicone which was were the brace as at.

Reactions: PufferCorps

jvasquez9248

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Laredo,TX
The bracing part is not difficult for me at all, and yes taking it apart would be a pain, especially since I have nerer done it before on anything this large. But im trying to figure out if its a must for this tank. I just want to play it as safe as possible, I have little one at home, since she likes to stare at the fish for good periods of time.

Reactions: PufferCorps

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I really think that adding all those extra braces is overkill. Don't take the entire tank apart. Just reseal the inside. Don't fill the tank unless your center brace is attached. Use adhesive silicone to re attach the center brace and since it is a large tank, I recommend that you reseal the inside with adhesive silicone too. It is not a must to take apart the tank. The water is pushing on the silicone from the inside to no water is going to get out if you have a good inner seal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store