HELP! senegal bichir emergency!!

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
My 8 inch senegal bichir changed color from dark grey to pale white and stopped eating 2 days ago he is still very active. I dont know what to do. Is it due to stress? I did change him to a bigger tank also been replanting plants he keeps uprooting everyday. I hope anyone here could help thank you in advance!!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My 8 inch senegal bichir changed color from dark grey to pale white and stopped eating 2 days ago he is still very active. I dont know what to do. Is it due to stress? I did change him to a bigger tank also been replanting plants he keeps uprooting everyday. I hope anyone here could help thank you in advance!!

DMD123 DMD123
J jaws7777
Dr.B Dr.B
kno4te kno4te

Last edited:

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
What are the water parameters, and what were you feeding the Sen, also is there other fish in the aquarium.
I feed my senegal a mix of earthworm, squid, anchovies. I had him since he was 2 inches long about 3 months ago and i never checked my water. I use well water and do water changes every 2 days. I have him on a 40 gal now. I also have a 3 inch delhezi in a 20 gal they are alone in the tank

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I feed my senegal a mix of earthworm, squid, anchovies. I had him since he was 2 inches long about 3 months ago and i never checked my water. I use well water and do water changes every 2 days. I have him on a 40 gal now. I also have a 3 inch delhezi in a 20 gal they are alone in the tank

Take a sample of your water to lfs, and have them test it for you. How often do you feed the Sen, and is the mix fresh every time you offer it to the Polys.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Get some water parameters quick if ur able.

Reactions: tlindsey

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
Take a sample of your water to lfs, and have them test it for you. How often do you feed the Sen, and is the mix fresh every time you offer it to the Polys.
I feed my senegal 3-5 times aday small feedings and only fresh food. I live somewhere really rural so the lfs around here dont have water testing kits. I asked before.

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
Did you change him to another tank recently? Or was it more than 2-3 days ago? Also what substrate does the new tank have?
I did 2 days ago because in the 20 gal he was in he escaped twice. The new tank has the same gravel i had in the old tank. And its heavily planted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store