HELP TIRE TRACK EEL DEAD AND FIRE EEL MAY BE IN DANGER

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Alright so I came home from football workouts yesterday to find my tire track pressed right up against my heater and a rock his whole left side was badly burnt and I quickly changed him into another tank because he was still breathing but I later decided his fate that he would die because when I came home he was belly up it was to late he was about 10 inches and the size of a quarter and a half around ik fat right but the thing is the temp in the tank is 80 degrees and that's perfect I later tested my water and my nitrate and ph levels are high everything else is good. Here's the thing today I decided to test my tap water and the nitrate levels in it are zero while in the tank they are high af any answers to why that is? I added nite out to mess with nitrite levels in case they were affecting it as well as ammolock for ammonia just in case my fire eel is currently in the same tank my tire track burnt himself in but I took out the rock so he can't pin himself. Also when I moved the tire track the other day before all this he feel on the ground but was on carpet could this have any correlation to why he died? I love eels and have spent to much on eels for any more to die I also have a Columbian spotted pleco in that same tank and he's not cheap so I don't want any more fish to die can y'all help out?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest doing larger wc's to bring down the nitrates, too many variables to really state why it died imo.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
More importantly, how large is the tank in question, what sort of filtration do you have, and what is your water change schedule like???

In the meantime, yes, do a waterchange..

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
More importantly, how large is the tank in question, what sort of filtration do you have, and what is your water change schedule like???

In the meantime, yes, do a waterchange..
50 gallon tank with a Aqueon 50 gallon rated filter, and a tetra air whisper for water circulation, and my water change is About twice a week

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I was thinking it may have to do with water changes but doesnt seem to be the case...

Has the tank been running long? Any changes made to the tank? I.e meds added?

Also how much water do you normally change each time???

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
my honest suggestion is add seachem prime and stability ASAP, screw ammolock etc etc etc, prime and stability will handle any water quality issues you may have besides high nitrates. move the heater to an area where a fish can't pin themselves under it and if your nitrates are high and you change water 2x/week then: you are way over feeding and/or you aren't changing enough of the water in each change.

Any other fish in the tank? Oh and the tiretrack most likely died from being pinned to a heater for an untold amount of time....I wouldn't attribute it to much else...he got cooked.

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
my honest suggestion is add seachem prime and stability ASAP, screw ammolock etc etc etc, prime and stability will handle any water quality issues you may have besides high nitrates. move the heater to an area where a fish can't pin themselves under it and if your nitrates are high and you change water 2x/week then: you are way over feeding and/or you aren't changing enough of the water in each change.

Any other fish in the tank? Oh and the tiretrack most likely died from being pinned to a heater for an untold amount of time....I wouldn't attribute it to much else...he got cooked.
yeah I know he got cooked and I haven't been over feeding I sprinkle just a pinch of fish food in for some danios and the redtail in the tank other then that I was feeding the eels little catfish strips and he would eat about 4 or so and there wouldn't be any just laying in the tank

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
I was thinking it may have to do with water changes but doesnt seem to be the case...

Has the tank been running long? Any changes made to the tank? I.e meds added?

Also how much water do you normally change each time???
Tank has been running for a year and a half now last time I did a water change on it was Sunday and I did a 1/2 tank water change because the water was a little murky then I preferred to Like , no other meds were added before except to dechloroniate water and I usually take out about 25% water each time that's why all this was a shock to me because I keep up pretty well with my tanks they are in my room so it's not hard to look and check on things everyday

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Tank has been running for a year and a half now last time I did a water change on it was Sunday and I did a 1/2 tank water change because the water was a little murky then I preferred to Like , no other meds were added before except to dechloroniate water and I usually take out about 25% water each time that's why all this was a shock to me because I keep up pretty well with my tanks they are in my room so it's not hard to look and check on things everyday
I'm confused....are you concerned about the water quality then too? because the eel obviously didn't succumb to water chemistry issues. if the fire eel is behaving normally then I would forgo adding a bunch of water treatment at the moment...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store