Help with ID

rucus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
Nebraska
WWW.FISHTAILAQUATICS.COM
Hey guys, just getting back into the hobby after a break due to a tank busting in my living room, but that's a thread for another day.

I picked this guy up at a local fish store. They told me it was red tail borleyi but I'm having my doubts. He's about 2 inches long and has good color showing. He seems to be the king of the tank right now too.

Yesterday I picked up 2 clown Loaches and he went absolutely bonkers on them. Chased them and strutted his stuff sideways at them. I mean he went completely phyco so I turned out the lights to let the loaches relax a bit. Today he doesn't see to even notice the loaches in his tank. Anyhow, any help with IDing this guy would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I am wrong but he just doesn't seem like a borleyi.Screenshot_20170919-174356.png Screenshot_20170919-174412.png

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the above, possibly Iodotropheus sprengerae, there are a few color morphs, or could simply one of the many mbuna hybrids commonly sold as " mixed Africans" and they are on an aggression scale similar to most mbuna.
These cichlids often need to be crowded to spread out aggression, but this doesn't help if you add piecemeal, any new fish if added one or two at a time will be at a distinct disadvantage.
Even when you add for e.g. half dozen, it is best to totally rearrange the decor so any already set up territorial boundaries are blurred.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store