Help with new rescued peacock eel

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I would also let him go in to the main tank if nothing will attack him

Looks much more than 2 inches long
It's like 2.5-3 inches, not as large as they are normally sold. I think thats a reason why it wasn't doing well in the first place. Also I'm not worried about the tank mates. The cories and loaches are really curious if anything but no threat from them. The angels ignore anything on the bottom, they just don't care and my old blood parrot keeps em in line. The bp hides all day only comes out for food or if an angel is acting out of line and I doubt tetras will be a problem. I mainly just don't want it to hide and never come out again so I'll try to accustom it to hand feeding ASAP so it can leave the breeder but also survive.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I would also let him go in to the main tank if nothing will attack him

Looks much more than 2 inches long
It's like 2.5-3 inches, not as large as they are normally sold. I think thats a reason why it wasn't doing well in the first place. Also I'm not worried about the tank mates. The cories and loaches are really curious if anything but no threat from them. The angels ignore anything on the bottom, they just don't care and my old blood parrot keeps em in line. The bp hides all day only comes out for food or if an angel is acting out of line and I doubt tetras will be a problem. I mainly just don't want it to hide and never come out again so I'll try to accustom it to hand feeding ASAP so it can leave the breeder but also survive.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
the 2 peacocks I had I rarely saw thats 1 reason I like my fire eels so much since they are always watching me
Yeah no way my 60 gal can handle a huge fire eel, but if I gain more experience with eels I'll think of a future investment in a large tank with one of those

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Update:
It's not shy towards people as I can approach and it would respond by coming out of the den. It tried to eat from the tong but got a bit shy so I just left em and watched it eat. It eats the frozen bloodworms but it's really slow about it. However today when I was feeding it, it poked it's head out of the water for a bit then casually slid out of the breeder and into the tank. Not sure what to do now. It isn't afraid of any of the fish as it just situated itself to the darker side with all the hides and tends to avoid the larger fish (bp and angels) it doesn't mind the company of the cory catfish but the loach are too clueless and keep running into it when they forage, the eel just moves out of the way but the loaches are pretty big compared to it and very annoying in the sense that they aren't spatially aware at all. So what to do, I don't want to stress it out by trying to recatch it unless necessary. I put it's hide from the breeder into the tank and left the breeder inside too if it ever swims back in (unlikely) but I'm debating on whether letting it stay or putting it back in. I never got to get it comfortable hand feeding so the best I can do is throw a ton of food and watch it gobble a bit. I'm going to get some sand and make a pile for it and I'm getting some live earthworms and some frozen brine shrimp when I find some.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
lol I guess he made the decision for you it sounds like he will be fine just target feed him i.e. put the bloodworms in his face when you feed

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
lol I guess he made the decision for you it sounds like he will be fine just target feed him i.e. put the bloodworms in his face when you feed
Yeah it seemed restless in the breeder, partly cause it's floating and maybe cause it felt better, I'll get some sand for it and focus feed it for sure, it's not shy of me so hoping for the best

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I think it will do fine now, just make sure all exits on the tank are covered as they easily escape, anything they can get their head through they will do.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I think it will do fine now, just make sure all exits on the tank are covered as they easily escape, anything they can get their head through they will do.
Yeah there weren't many openings to start with, just one for my lucky bamboo and another for the filter, so i placed socks to stuff the openings without blocking the filter and plant. I went to both petland and petsmart and neither had aquarium sand surprisingly so I'm still searching for some. I placed some pvc pipes and embedded them partially in the gravel to create caves along with just some more rock formations and dens for the eel to choose.
Heres a video of it eating which I somehow got on camera

It's doing well, most of the fish ignore it except the damn weather loaches think its another loach lol and keep following it and hiding with it and it clearly is ignoring them. Their spacial awareness sucks as they just cram themselves in with the eel and the eel's just peeved and has to leave because the loaches are massive and take up space. They are 4-6 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store