I made a journal of her here if you want to learn from my opps moments

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
I made a journal of her here if you want to learn from my opps moments

Will definitely read it, thanks a lot! And I like the idea, perhaps I will do the same here!=.

Reactions: Jexnell

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Super beautiful fish, I've been wanting a bigger, mosnter fish for quite a while now and Oscars are the first one I thought of, they're so beautiful and look like water dogs lol. Their color is amazing as well. I've been waiting for my local petco/fish stores to stock one, and I've always wanted a white, but they rarely got any, and most of the time were always black ones. So when I saw this one (last one remaining) I had to snag it quick! What pellet/fish food did you feed yours? He looks super healthy so obviously you did everything good!

Will do! Any suggestions on veggies and pellet brands?
Pellets w/ spirulina algae. Occasionally. Feed before feeding meat type pellets or sticks as fish tend to prefer protein food (shrimp, krill, fish meal type foods). Need to eat veggies first to make sure they eat it! Many prefer Omega One and NLS brands. I personally feed Aquatic Foods floating algae pellets. Started them on it after they were about 6 months old.
Many prefer to feed higher protein food when they are little guys. Good for growth.
Also a firm believer in frozen peas. Good fiber for an oscar. Mine have eaten them throughout their life. Usually feed once every week or 2.

I hear some people feed oscars fruit also.

pea.JPG

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hi guys, I was just wondering if you think my baby oscar is sick, or if he's just stressed and will pass. I got him today from petco. Currently have it in a 10g tank as you can see, don't roast me please I'm getting a 75g from petco next Friday and will be putting a cycled fluval 406 canister as well as 2 sponge filters.

The thing is, he's been staying at the bottom of the tank all day. Do you think this is normal due to the new tank? He follows me with his eye when I come close, and I can see he's breathing veeeery slowly, but he doesn't move a muscle. I placed a cycled sponge filter in the tank, and I have no heater because this room is constantly at 76-79F (A/C on) cause I got multiple other tanks.

I know the setup looks bad but I promise it's just temporary, next week he'll be in a 75g all by himself. Any tips? Right now I have the light off, just turned it to take the pics.

View attachment 1419084

View attachment 1419085
CUTE lil' O! Like the others said, give him a nice hide he can go in for a 'getaway.' You can also try some of those fake lily pads for the surface, it helps reduce stress (amazon.com) and makes a nice doppled light effect. It also gets fish more comfy swimming near the surface or out in the open.

I'd also put a temporary background up. It could be as basic as cardboard with tape, or fabric with velcro strips.

Last December my red oscar Brick was small as yours. Now he's between 12-13 inches! Clean water, big tank, good food, low stress equals monster Oscars!

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
So let's set something straight from the get go. Not all white Oscar's are a true albino. It has to have the red eyes to be a true albino. If it has black eyes then its considered a Lutino. This is all the white skinned Oscar's with black eyes, be it Tigers, Reds, etc.

Also a Oscar the size of yours won't tell you its adult looks besides if it's a tiger or solid.
Yours looks to be a tiger.
So this is what I started with.
View attachment 1419164

Six spots or so on each side turned Into this
View attachment 1419165
Is it me, or is Toni getting even beefier?

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That pic is a year old or so. Go_redfish Go_redfish has her and has not been posting. Last I talked to her Toni was 13in long.
So when Toni ate, did he always say "there grreeat!".

Lol sorry couldn't help but make a Toni the tiger joke.

• Haha
Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So when Toni ate, did he always say "there grreeat!".

Lol sorry couldn't help but make a Toni the tiger joke.
Truthfully thats where my son got the name for the fish. Started with Tony till I figured out she was a female and changed it to Toni

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Truthfully thats where my son got the name for the fish. Started with Tony till I figured out she was a female and changed it to Toni
Lol now that's funny. I have that same kind of thing happen myself, had atleast a handful of fish that I misnamed just because of a mistake in gender. My female flowerhorn atm I thought was a male at first because of the kok size but nope he was a she all along lol. Her name is Big Bertha now, btw this is her. Just a glance at her just screams male but nope she is a nice beautiful, refined, masculine lady lol.

cameringo_20200321_062324.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: HenryC and Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store