Help!!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I know I was kind of ignorant and didn't pay much attention to water quality over the past week, but please help. My oscar is laying on his side not moving (still breathing slightly). I know oscars do this when they are scared, and I had added a new decoration just yesterday, but he was fine with it in there yesterday.

Ph: 6.5
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 160

how do you change the Ph (if needed) and how do you lower nitrate?
Sorry about being such a newbie about this kind of stuff, but I really love my oscar and would hate for anything to happen to him!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I know I was kind of ignorant and didn't pay much attention to water quality over the past week, but please help. My oscar is laying on his side not moving (still breathing slightly). I know oscars do this when they are scared, and I had added a new decoration just yesterday, but he was fine with it in there yesterday.

Sorry about being such a newbie about this kind of stuff, but I really love my oscar and would hate for anything to happen to him!
Jeeze now i feel horrible about my ignorance over the past few days and my VERY high nitrate level, (I read some stuff online) so how do I get that down???

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Water changes. Do a fin level water change and don’t forget to add a water conditioner.
You can use baking soda to up your kh and that will raise your ph. Do you know your kh?

Reactions: PGJE and Davidiator

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Are you sure you did the test right? Are you using a drop test kit or strips?

To raise the kh fill a bucket with declorinated water and add 1tsp of baking soda for ever 5 gallons of water. Let it dissolve then add it in with your water change.
Ph crashes are deadly for fish so you’ll want to monitor your ph carefully. Test morning, noon, and night to see how if fluctuates. Also test your tap to see what the ph and kh are coming out at.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home

Nitrates are high and they sometimes cause problems with breathing... I once had an Arawana on its side for 2 days... (I was a noobie)
Did a 50% WC instantly fixed the issue...

Are you sure you did the test right? Are you using a drop test kit or strips?

To raise the kh fill a bucket with declorinated water and add 1tsp of baking soda for ever 5 gallons of water. Let it dissolve then add it in with your water change.
Ph crashes are deadly for fish so you’ll want to monitor your ph carefully. Test morning, noon, and night to see how if fluctuates. Also test your tap to see what the ph and kh are coming out at.
Yes. He/she has good advice (I think she )

Reactions: PGJE and MrsE88

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Reactions: PGJE

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Nitrates are high and they sometimes cause problems with breathing... I once had an Arawana on its side for 2 days... (I was a noobie)
Did a 50% WC instantly fixed the issue...

Yes. He/she has good advice (I think she )
Just did a 50% water change and the oscar is swimming around and begging again! I will monitor closely and do a couple more water changes over the course of this week. (the nitrates are down to 40 after the water change)

As for the Kh, I'll put some baking soda in tonight. Thanks!

Reactions: Davidiator

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
My girl Toni got fin level water changes every third day in the beginning, changing to every other day when she broke 8in plus. Oscar's are dirty fish and need as much help from you as possible via water changes and gravel vacing often.

Reactions: Davidiator and PGJE
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store