HELP

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I believe it looks like ich, and waiting to see if more spots develop may not be a good idea. By the time spots are seeing externally on the fish, their gill filaments are already heavily covered. Why waiting?, and good luck!

Reactions: jjohnwm

Eben m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
I believe it looks like ich, and waiting to see if more spots develop may not be a good idea. By the time spots are seeing externally on the fish, their gill filaments are already heavily covered. Why waiting?, and good luck!
Okay i will treat as soon as I get home. Only thing I have is API super ick cure and I do have reef salt for my saltwater tank. Do you guys recommend salting the tank or dosing with medication. I cant really get another ick treatment because I don’t have any local fish stores near me and anything I order will take a long time to get here.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Regular old table salt works fine:

Eben m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
My Oscar now has reduced to only two spots on him and a the white specs that were on his eyes and fins are almost gone and I did not dose the water. I’m really confused now 😂

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Part of the ich life cycle is for it to drop off and multiply - it will be back.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Part of the ich life cycle is for it to drop off and multiply - it will be back.
As each ick spot matures, it disappears as @ 100 new ick protozoa hatch out and fall to the substrate, they soon rise and reinfect.
C16F84AE-FA5D-4B8F-9B7D-EAE58406E7F0.jpeg
But I must admit, I am not totally convinced ick is the only problem here.
I also believe that only 10-20% water changes once per week, will keep it healthy.
What is the tank size?
And you say parameters are low, but what does that mean?
There is some disagreement about what some people think "low" is. For my tanks, low is nitrate below 5ppm.
If you have hard water and your nitrate is above 10ppm, to me (especially for an oscar) that is not low, but is a chronic disease precursor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

Eben m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
As each ick spot matures, it disappears as @ 100 new ick protozoa hatch out and fall to the substrate, they soon rise and reinfect.
View attachment 1511808
But I must admit, I am not totally convinced ick is the only problem here.
I also believe that only 10-20% water changes once per week, will keep it healthy.
What is the tank size?
And you say parameters are low, but what does that mean?
There is some disagreement about what some people think "low" is. For my tanks, low is below 5ppm.
If you have hard water and your nitrate is above 10ppm, to me (especially for an oscar) that is not low, but is a chronic disease precursor.
I have been doing 30% water changes now daily because I got a new test kit for water. My strips were saying my nitrate was low but I just bought the test kit and my nitrite was reading very high at 5 and nitrate very high at like 20. I have limited feeding by a lot and doing large daily water changes so I’m not sure why it is so high. I have 0 ammonia currently and my ph is within range. Should I get a bottle of something at the store and just more water changes? It’s a 95 gal with 30 gall sump.

Eben m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
There is also no spots today and all fish are swimming and eating properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store