Heres why parents eat their young!!!

MarySweeney

Feeder Fish
Jan 16, 2012
Highlands, NJ
Do not pee in the tank! If they are too young, they could be just dating and not ready to marry yet. lol

Seriously, some cichlids will eat/destroy eggs for much longer than we would like before they get it right. No one is following them around in the wild to see how many clutches a pair will consume before they are settled. Even when everything is perfect, they will still decide to eat the eggs...then one day they will become excellent parents. Nothing different, just more mature fish. Or you could pee in the tank.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I think there are a general idea of which species will eat there young but from what I noticed when breeding cichlids is that it just depends on the individual and his or her surroundings

Ryan144

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
new jersey
Not sure but I think female guppies will eat they're young to "protect them" from other fish. Its like saying, I I'm afraid you will eat my kids so I'm gonna eat um first. What stupid parents! At least, that's what I've heard they why they do it. Either that or they're just plain stupid.
Cichlids do this sometimes if they don't think they can protect their fry. They see it as someone getting a free meal and it might as well be them.

AlligatorGAR69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Raleigh, NC
It is so annoying i have minnows in my smaller aquarium so when they breed i can feed the babies to the gar but once one baby pops out it gets eaten

Goodeid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Leesburg VA
If an animal thinks its offspring arent going to survive then why not gain back some of that energy that they spent on producing those offspring instead of loosing all of it?

Reactions: bandicoot

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
The post explained why a pair of parents would narrow numbers of eggs down which is understood. My question is why would a pair of fish in a tank by themselves all of a sudden just eat their wigglers and or free swimming fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store