Heres why parents eat their young!!!

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Celestial Pearl Danio eat their eggs if they can find them in the gravel after the thrills of spawning subside. In two weeks the eggs hatch and again the fry are at risk of being eaten by the parents. This is one of the lucky ones at about 2 days old that I found before the parents did and moved it to a green water and infusoria raising tank.DSCN2760.JPG
This photo taken with my Nikon CoolPix 9300 at a camera setting of 10x zoom through two jeweler's loupes of 4x power each for a total of 160x magnification.
Thats a standard piece of #1 gravel it is resting on.
At 6.2 Megapixel, enlarge to your heart's content. It doesn't get much clearer than this.

kanoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2016
Thailand
I think it's up to the fish's species. My texas won't eat their yong, but my red devils and flowerhorns ate their babies.

NatureF1nest

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2016
So how long is it recommenced to leave the mother in with fry? I have a Peacock cichlid that just spit the babies, I do not want her to eat the fry, is this anything I need to worry about?
I think it depends on the fish I had my flowerhorn breed couple time never ate her egg once the baby were free swimming untill my other ate a few than I separate . or separate the egg and hatch them yourself but use son thing blue to kill the fungus on the egg

vkjones

Feeder Fish
Oct 18, 2016
I have Jack Dempsey pair that spawned and are caring for about 100 of their fry, that are now about 2 months old. They are doing great with them and the babies are growing and about 1/2 in. long, now. They are in a 60 gal. aquarium. There were probably close to 300 fry at first. I think some of them just died, because I haven't seen the parents eating any of their fry. I may have lost a few in the filter, before I covered the part that is in the water, with panty hose. I did find a few fry parts on the hose at first.

vkjones

Feeder Fish
Oct 18, 2016
my female fh just ate her eggs within 24 hours. they are in my office at home which i am in all day. i think she just gets nervous with the traffic. next week when she lays eggs again i am going to cover the tank. if that doesn't work i am going to separate the female. if he eats the eggs too i am going to try and milk him and separate them both from the eggs. if that doesn't work i will pee in th tank.
The female can and often do hold the eggs in their mouths for up to 3 weeks, before spitting them out. They can go that long with eating food, however they may eat a little.

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
My festea always eats her eggs when there not ferlised she guards them until they go white and she eats them up

Charles E Washington

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2016
My Cat gave birth to early :cry:and she just ate them with all of the other stuff instead of cleaning em, they where still alive:WHOA: I was sooooo shock and had a hard time excepting it. Asked my veterinarian why she did it and he said the babies probably would have died anyway so she just ate them.
Im sorry to hear your lost!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store