Heres why parents eat their young!!!

aristolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Hesperia, CA
I breed swordtails in order to feed to my African haps from Lake Malawi. I don't protect the baby swords from their mom ( the dad jumped out of the tank and is gone). Out of about 40 babies, only 2 were females! Either a very unusual event has occurred or the mother selectively ate the females.

aristolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Hesperia, CA
I do believe that when some animals feel that their offspring may be eaten by another animal ( won't survive as you put it) the parent will eat them rather than let someone else eat them.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Rainbow Gudgeons are another weird lot.
After spawning, the male guards the eggs exceptionally well and the female totally up and leaves the site, never to return until she's ripe with eggs again in three or four weeks.
The male eats absolutely nothing while he tends the eggs as they mature.
In 4 1/2 to 6 days, the fry hatch and are immediately free swimming.
Now the really strange part. The male who guarded the eggs so well, will eat every single fry that doesn't escape from the breeding cave!

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Kok Master said If that doesn't work, I will pee in the tank

Scientists have stated that there is a very small amount of semen in urine samples... it might just work,, but I'm not exactly sure what the hybrids will look like or if they'd even be viable, but alas, the eggs will probably remain unfertilized.
Maybe if you're the master you imply, it might work if you took the eggs out and lovingly held them in closer proximity.

Last edited:

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and I could have sworn it was me and wife outta food and we hungry. can always make more kids. and its fun!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store