HOB capacity

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A LFS runs 3 AC110's on a 350 gallon tank, packed with fish - and has had this set up running for close to 20 years. Back when they were still called AC 500's. A properly media filled AC 110 offers enough bio filtration to float a small pony. Most hobbyists go way overboard with bio filtration.

As far as cost, even in Canada, the land of taxes, where prices are typically double that of the USA, I can buy AC 110's for $50 during sales. In fact I did just that not long ago at the local Petsmart. $49.99 per unit. Just for back up! lol

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
A LFS runs 3 AC110's on a 350 gallon tank, packed with fish - and has had this set up running for close to 20 years. Back when they were still called AC 500's. A properly media filled AC 110 offers enough bio filtration to float a small pony. Most hobbyists go way overboard with bio filtration.

As far as cost, even in Canada, the land of taxes, where prices are typically double that of the USA, I can buy AC 110's for $50 during sales. In fact I did just that not long ago at the local Petsmart. $49.99 per unit. Just for back up! lol
Where at. Cheapest I have ever seen them local here is 79.99

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Seems a lot easier, and unless you have all those spare parts laying around, a lot cheaper, to just buy an AC 110. :)
Cost me Australian $35.... Ac110 is $190.....

Sorry to say but mine is a lot cheaper, more configurable, and easier to maintain.

I had no parts,I went to a discount plumbing store.

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Where at. Cheapest I have ever seen them local here is 79.99
As previously stated, Petsmart.

Sorry to say but mine is a lot cheaper, more configurable, and easier to maintain.
I'm sorry that prices in AU are so high, but where I live that wouldn't be a lot cheaper. As previously pointed out, you are using your cartridge filter as a canister, not a HOB, which is what this discussion is all about. And design wise, I don't see anything to get too excited about.

To each their own, but the OP (who doesn't live in AU) was asking a pretty specific question about two different makes of HOB filters, to which I was doing my best to answer. IMHO the AC 110 gives the best bang for the buck when it comes to those two HOB filters.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
As previously stated, Petsmart.

I'm sorry that prices in AU are so high, but where I live that wouldn't be a lot cheaper. As previously pointed out, you are using your cartridge filter as a canister, not a HOB, which is what this discussion is all about. And design wise, I don't see anything to get too excited about.

To each their own, but the OP (who doesn't live in AU) was asking a pretty specific question about two different makes of HOB filters, to which I was doing my best to answer. IMHO the AC 110 gives the best bang for the buck when it comes to those two HOB filters.
I'm not disagreeing on price when it comes to location, but the reason I made mine is because in Australia EVERYTHING is expensive.

My Eheim 2260 was$1500, to modify it to 2262 cost me another$50,a year later to mod it to 2264, cost me another$75.

My HOB cost$35 and far outperforms a 2264 when taking $$$ into consideration

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thank you so much for all the responses. These were all very helpful.

I am not a handy person at all, so building my own HOB is not really feasible regardless of how many DIY pics and vids there are. I am considering my options and will probably go the AC110 path just because of the flow rate that is available and sounds like it has a little more room than the emperor 400.

Thanks again!

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
If you want to see my whole system, I have a320l tank with a2264, I have 1HOB as previously described and another 2 chamber filter with a1 micron cartridge and 1l macropore running a off shoot from my 2264 with a40w uv.

That is what you call monster for 320 tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store