home depot sand-is it ok for aquariums?

Words

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
The Greens
Yeah, I saw that Commercial Grade stuff there as well. If I remember correctly it's a gray-ish color and had an almost powder texture to it? That, and it cost more so I steered clear.

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
That's correct. I'll check out the one that you got for a change.

MartinBoy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Las Vegas
littlewangzfan;5100960; said:
That's correct. I'll check out the one that you got for a change.
try mixing the two maybe

eatingleg4peanut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
Maryland
here is my lazy question. I have found in my smaller tanks (55 and 20L's) that its easy to add wet sand to a tank with water in it without clouding, just don't dump it in, I scoop the wet sand and let it out on the bottom. If I thoroughly gravel vac my existing large natural river stone gravel, can I add sand right over it? or should I definitely remove the gravel first?

The color of fishmamas sand and the prices you guys are saying for large bags has me wanting to go sand in my 125 and 180.

I'm thinking the main problem would be trapping bacteria/particles under sand creating poison pockets, but I'm not sure if thats how it works.

Brooks74

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
That's the thing with sand most of the debris sits on top .Whenever you do a water change just wave your vac over the sand and vacuum it up.Also many suggest every month or so to stir up up the sand to avoid the pockets.

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
If it's okay for my carnivorous plants then it's okay for aquariums. The same goes for the massive bags of peat the sell at Home Depot.

MartinBoy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Las Vegas
I had my mind set on Pool Filter Sand from Leslie's Pool Supply after reading everyone's opinion. I went to buy but they only had 1 bag so I purchased for $9.99 + tax. The bag looked liked this.
100_0554.JPG
My first reaction was that it was a little gray. I also was hoping to not have to wash the PFS but thought I would check first so I put about 15lbs in bucket and filled with water and it was cloudy. I rinsed 4 times.

Since I wasn't overly impressed with PFS I decided to go to Home Depot. I'm sure there selection is different depending what region you are in and they had a few to chose from. The bag looked like this and cost $3.59.
100_0559.JPG

And of coarse I rinsed the sand first. I took the same 4 times of rinseing each bucketfull before the water ran clear. I actually think the sand from Home Depot was a little easyier to clean!! Heres what the two look like compared. The Home Depot sand is on the left and PFS on Right!!
100_0560.JPG

I decided to just put the Home Depot sand right on top of the PFS and let the fish mix it up. I have 100lbs in my 135g tank and will probably add 50 more and it is plenty of sand.
100_0578.JPG
I am over all pleased with sand I didn't want it to look like salt water sand. I'll post pic of whole tank after I add other bag and water clears up due to Amonia spike from removing old gravel! LOL
Sorry pics are so big! I'll figure out how to get them smaller sometime!!! :headbang2:headbang2

discuskent

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2010
norfolk va
i used pool filter cause its a little bigger and u dont suck it up when cleaning the tank got it at a pool store $8 a 50lb bag

Words

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
The Greens
Sorry for taking so long to post this. Here's what the Quikrete All Purpose Sand looks like when wet. Almost has a muddy appearance, and I've rinsed it pretty well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store