How do I get LOW pH?

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
So I am currently doing some research on discus. While watching many videos, talking to discus keepers, and searching the web, I have noticed the same thing being repeated... “low ph” “must keep ph low” “ph between 6 and 7”. I also read that you can keep discus in a tank with a ph around 8, but it is not recommended. So I tested my tap water and I tested one of my tank’s water, and it is about around 7.5-8.2, them being averaged. I have done experiments to see what would bring pH down like driftwood, chemicals, and so on. None of them make a huge impact to get the pH low to around the 6, 6.5 range. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to really bring the pH of my water down and keep it there?That seems to be one of my major concerns if I ever want to keep discus.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you're serioud about discus, I might invest in an RO unit. RODI creates nearly pure h2o, which typically has a low or neutral pH. You do have to add minerals back to the water, or mix with a small percent of tap, to give the water the necessary minerals and trace elements that fish need.
Some people use peat moss, driftwood, leaves etc to lower pH. But ime, these won't give you the drastic change you are looking for.

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
If you're serioud about discus, I might invest in an RO unit. RODI creates nearly pure h2o, which typically has a low or neutral pH. You do have to add minerals back to the water, or mix with a small percent of tap, to give the water the necessary minerals and trace elements that fish need.
Some people use peat moss, driftwood, leaves etc to lower pH. But ime, these won't give you the drastic change you are looking for.
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami . I have to say you are one of the best people I have ever talked to. You are always one of the first people to answer all of my questions and are always giving me helpful information. Thanks!!!

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Also, would I have to add like for instance prime to the water that comes out of the ro?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami . I have to say you are one of the best people I have ever talked to. You are always one of the first people to answer all of my questions and are always giving me helpful information. Thanks!!!
Kind of you to say, and your welcome! I just like talking fish and helping people out if I can.

And about the prime- Nope, no reason to add prime to RO water, as there will be no chlorine (or pretty much anything else) in the water

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There is no need to lower pH, to successfully keep domestic strains of discus. The only thing that a lower pH does is increase the % of eggs that successfully hatch. A local breeder here kept his discus at pH 8.0, and only adjusted tanks where pairs were actively spawning.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The owner of those fish shown above (RIP amigo) bred discus on & off for several decades. Unless you are planning on keeping wild fish, or starting a discus breeding hatchery, don't give pH a second thought. Even in water at a pH 8+, you will still get eggs that successfully hatch. Just not nearly as much as one would in a lower pH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store