How do you guys actually do water changes exactly?

rich81090

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
uk
My system is around 7000litres with 40mm solvent weld pipe straight to drain, I open the valves and drain 20% to 30% in a couple of minutes, then refill will water from a mixer tap run through a declor unit, that's also done with rigid pipe work. I just have to open and close a few valves, the tanks are heated using heat exchangers from the boiler so adding warm water back to the tanks hardly uses any extra gas. adding slightly warm water also removes condensation from the pipe work as the normal water is very cold when it enters, and even with pipe lagging there used to be lots of puddles from the condensation.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
I am still in the dark ages. Water 40-50 percent water changes per week. Sometimes twice a week on my 600. And honestly I dont mind it. Enjoy the interaction with all my setups and it allows me to actually do cleaning other than the basic water changes.
Wish I enjoyed it as much as you...lol
Manual WC 1x per week 50%

Not terrible...Just throw in the siphon hose and walk away for a couple hours...Come back and start filling. While filling I throw my filter socks in the washer...

Reactions: Reedmaster16

speedo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Stoke on trent UK
I have 2 x 200 ltr water buts in the garage which I treat with prime, heat up to temperature and then pump into my tank
It's a lot easier than buckets lol

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Drip systems are a huge relief. Less overall work. filter maintenance goes way down as you drain much waste without the filters processing it. Water values are much more stable, heating costs went down.
We went from twice weekly water changes on about a dozen systems down to once every 2-3 weeks. This saves dozens of hours monthly that can be better used for productivity.
There is a lot of potential for disaster during and after water changes. Proper drainage levels, water temps, water treatment, heaters remaining submerged, pumps unplugged then turned back on, risk of forgetting and overflowing, the list goes on. Minimizing the risk especially with us having some lesser experienced helpers is another positive for us.

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Running a drip system should not lead to a reduction in filter maintenance at all, quite the opposite actually. When running a drip it is important to pay closer attention to filter maintenance. Detritus/waste buildup in the filter system will be harder to detect via water testing with the constant dilution from the drip.

I know many swear by a drip system and claim they never do water changes, but a drip does not remove things from the water column in the same manner a 30-50% water change does.

Drip systems should be thought of more as a parameter stabilizer or dilution system to aid with periods of heavy feeding.

Filter systems like many run on the forums (total system volume below 1,000 gal) may get away with drip only/no water changes for a few years. Down the road as rays grow and feeding requirements increase they will most likely run into issues like disease/parasites/sudden "unexplained" deaths. UV's at the proper dosage can help reduce pathogens in the water column and give you more time, but proper sized filtration system and maintenance are critical.

On stocked tanks/systems that have been running for 3-5+ years just look at the buildup inside the plumbing components alone. Having clean-outs on overflows and access to other sections of plumbing to clean is very important maintenance as well in the long term.

Unless you are running a massive system with appropriate sized filtration manual water changes are still important.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
So hot cold you drip?
Sorry I lost notification on this thread. Yes I do this for two reasons:

1. Gas is cheaper than electricity
2. I drip into my main tank (not the sump) so if the power goes out for a long period of time I am not dripping water down a sump drain as well the bit of oxygenation into the tank saves me from dead rays. This actually happened one time on vacation and came home to half dead rays which could have equated into fully dead rays

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I don't plan on keeping rays, so a large drip should save me from a fair amount of work.

Reactions: rudy

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
I don't plan on keeping rays, so a large drip should save me from a fair amount of work.
Even if you did a large drip will save you from work. If there wasn't drips I would have migrated down to a 33 gallon years ago. Get a drip

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Even if you did a large drip will save you from work. If there wasn't drips I would have migrated down to a 33 gallon years ago. Get a drip
Can't at the moment, will certainly do so when I'm older lol

Reactions: rudy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store