How do you guys actually do water changes exactly?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
That's exactly why I only use cold water. At 3 gallons or so an hour going into such a large water volume, it doesn't have a measurable effect on the temps. Doesn't seem worth the cost of heating the water in my HW tank and then heating it again in the sump. Just drip cold water and your only heating it once.
I have never run a drip so I don't know from experience . I would just think ice cold water stream would definitely create the need to jack up my heater.

So you just do cold and what is your heater set at? What kind of heater and how many watts.

Here where I live hydro is crazy expensive compared to gas.

When I do the drip im was just thinking to install the temp valve because I could always close it if I didn't need the hot water.

I love the idea of a drip and how it Free's up time
But I am in no rush to add it to my 400g. I can do a 60 to 70 percent water change in about 30 mins. I use a 1½" hose to drain. My nitrates always stay low and my Rays are thriving. Gallon for gallon WC always wins for removing old water.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I'm a big fan of drip because it offers consistency...I run it on my 550 gallon discus breeding operation, and on my 400 gallon ray grow out tank. For both systems I run 2 300w aquatop heaters set at around 80 for the rays, 82 for discus. They do not seem to come on anymore than normal. I run about 3 to 5 gallons per hour on each system. I still do a large waterchange once a month or so.

wmkr

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
m'sia
I have had all sorts of freshwater for a long time. I currently do very large weekly water changes, usually 80-90% depending on the tank. I drain, add Prime or Safe, and fill directly to the tank. I haven't had any issues with this method, even with stuff like discus. I get the temp pretty close, but I know it's not always perfect, but I don't have issues.

One of the biggest things holding me back from stingrays is that I can't imagine doing water changes like this on them. I think I would have to get a huge container to prep the water in so that it is heated and aerated so that all the chemistry is stabilized, any necessary off-gassing has occurred, etc. Am I correct in my apprehensiveness, or are any of you guys doing water changes on rays like I currently do them on my other freshwater tanks?
I am from Malaysia, so for water temp I dont have a problem.. I usually do around 70-80% drain n refill every 3 days for all my tank including my ray tank..

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
I have had all sorts of freshwater for a long time. I currently do very large weekly water changes, usually 80-90% depending on the tank. I drain, add Prime or Safe, and fill directly to the tank. I haven't had any issues with this method, even with stuff like discus. I get the temp pretty close, but I know it's not always perfect, but I don't have issues.

One of the biggest things holding me back from stingrays is that I can't imagine doing water changes like this on them. I think I would have to get a huge container to prep the water in so that it is heated and aerated so that all the chemistry is stabilized, any necessary off-gassing has occurred, etc. Am I correct in my apprehensiveness, or are any of you guys doing water changes on rays like I currently do them on my other freshwater tanks?
60-80% WC, twice a week. drain with fluval sp6. top up straight from the tap with AST antichlorine. temp diff usually max -/+2 degrees celcius. ph diff max -/+ 0.5. topping up takes a couple of hours.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I havent dont a water change in 10 years at least. Get a drip system, it is life altering. It makes working on a 1000 gallon tank as easy as working on a 10 gallon tank
Actually the less water you have the more drastic changes are and the less time you have to see bad things coming. With even a half decent drip system you're probably doing even less to keep things crispy than I am with my old school feeder breeders. It takes me longer to get the python out and hooked up than it does to just syphon and be bucket man. I'd almost rather dredge a pond.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Actually the less water you have the more drastic changes are and the less time you have to see bad things coming. With even a half decent drip system you're probably doing even less to keep things crispy than I am with my old school feeder breeders. It takes me longer to get the python out and hooked up than it does to just syphon and be bucket man. I'd almost rather dredge a pond.
If stocked the same amount the bio difference is the same, although temp would be different. With the same percentage of drip the PH change would be the same.

I don't see why a drip is an excuse to lay off

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I have never run a drip so I don't know from experience . I would just think ice cold water stream would definitely create the need to jack up my heater.

So you just do cold and what is your heater set at? What kind of heater and how many watts.

Here where I live hydro is crazy expensive compared to gas.

When I do the drip im was just thinking to install the temp valve because I could always close it if I didn't need the hot water.

I love the idea of a drip and how it Free's up time
But I am in no rush to add it to my 400g. I can do a 60 to 70 percent water change in about 30 mins. I use a 1½" hose to drain. My nitrates always stay low and my Rays are thriving. Gallon for gallon WC always wins for removing old water.
No one would debate that removing old water and temp matching new water is more efficient than drips. Unless you drip a lot you might not even be able to remove WC entirely. Being able to put off a WC for a day or 6 is nice. When others watch my tank all they ever have to do is feed. Putting off sump maintenance is a bonus.

Cost might be the issue. Hot water could be dripped to avert heating costs. Trying to maintain 6 GPU drip has not been a terribly expensive endeavour and I think you might be underestimating how well a heated tank can retain temp against such a small amount of cold water. I think I'm using around 650w of heaters though.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
No one would debate that removing old water and temp matching new water is more efficient than drips. Unless you drip a lot you might not even be able to remove WC entirely. Being able to put off a WC for a day or 6 is nice. When others watch my tank all they ever have to do is feed. Putting off sump maintenance is a bonus.

Cost might be the issue. Hot water could be dripped to avert heating costs. Trying to maintain 6 GPU drip has not been a terribly expensive endeavour and I think you might be underestimating how well a heated tank can retain temp against such a small amount of cold water. I think I'm using around 650w of heaters though.
Yes, I am looking forward to the drip , life is busy and every min helps.
That's not bad for heat, I have a 400g and I use a 300w right now so I would just have to add another then.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I am still in the dark ages. Water 40-50 percent water changes per week. Sometimes twice a week on my 600. And honestly I dont mind it. Enjoy the interaction with all my setups and it allows me to actually do cleaning other than the basic water changes.

Reactions: Reedmaster16
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store