How fat is too fat?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
No that's not really an option. I'm mostly a cichlid keeper so this is the only poly/non cichlid tank I have. In the tank is another 11" del, an 11" Ornate, 5" Datnoid, 5" sen, 7" sen, and pair of 5-6" geos and a 8"-9" severum. So they would not go with anything else.

I'm just going to try feeding every other day like someone suggested and see how that does over the next couple months. She's fat and happy and there isn;t any real problems at all. I just want to make sure that her being the size she is isn't going to have an impact on her life span mainly. So if I can get her to slim down just a tad with every other day feeding that would be good with me.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I don't think that would really accomplish anything at all. I can feed where ever I want in the tank but soon as food hits the water she smells it and scours the whole tank till she finds it. The biggest problem is her appetite.
A feeding tube could quite possibly allow you to target feed her a less nutrient dense feed, first, at one end of the tank, allowing her to feel full (reaching satiation) while feeding a more nutrient dense food at the other end, to the other fish.

A fish that obese will with 100% certainty die prematurely.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Would it be to stressful on the fish to get a tank divider and wait until she is on a side by herself then put it up and feed the tank?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Hey Steve, maybe take RD off of your block list for this one thread? He has given some very good advice and wasn’t harsh with his wording this time haha.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
LOL, I guess I just figured out who Steve was talking about when he said he had someone on ignore. A nod is as good as a wink, to a blind horse.
RD is it nothing personal. I honestly find just about everything you share to be very informative and accurate. I've just found the "way" you talk to some people to be something I just didn't care to read any longer. Not that some people don't deserve it, because they do, but it just seemed like for a while there it was happening so often I just got tired of seeing it. Trust me when I say I understand the reasons why you do. I'm far from someone that is easily offended, I think it's ridiculous how people are so easily offended these days and I've been accused of not having a filter in real life. So again it is nothing personal at all. I just simply found it easier there for a bit to not have to read some of the stuff is all.

But anyway enough of that stuff... You asked about the food facts.

What I have been feeding that tank for about the past 6 months now has 34% crude protein, and 5% crude fiber. Then once per week I feed them thawed Krill. I'm not sure of what the protein & fiber in krill is off hand, but she usually grabs about 2-4 pieces of krill like the rest do when I feed them that as a treat. Oh and I also give that tank some Tetra shrimp wafers about twice per week. The datnoid for some reason just about will only east those when I break them up so usually she (blue the fat poly) runs around and grabs what the dat leaves behind. I can't remember for sure but if memory is correct I believe the wafers are about 45% protein.

The tube idea with trying to feed her first with a lower protein food might be a good idea though I may have to give that a go for a bit and see if that would work. Any suggestions on what would be a good lower protein food to do that with for her?

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Hey Steve I’m not sure if there is a fish food made that way (lower protein) and I’m not sure that’s really the issue. It might even be the fat or carb (starch) content of what she is eating. To my knowledge, carbs might contribute more to obesity and fatty liver. I wonder if target feeding her unprocessed food like tilapia (which would be almost all protein, no carb and just a smidge if fat) would help?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store