How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soon hock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2011
in the water
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...eing-record-numbers-of-children-with-covid-19 covid cases are on the rise in children so to people using old outdated information concerning kids and covid this should be a good read. I have a 10 year old asthmatic son who even though he no longer needs to use a inhaler he has had pneumonia several times when younger. And has been hospitalized before to be put on oxygen so I'm not one of those parents who would use my child as a pawn to prove some kind of point. There is a small group of parents in my child's school who were nasty and love to send sick kids to school before covid. I know some people are super human and sleep with women with stds unprotected, share eating utensils with people with strep throat, greeko roman wrestle with people that have small pox and drink mexican tap water without any problems. Unfortunately my kids have mere mortal DNA so I worry about sending them to school with some of these nasty children whose parents act like they have lost their civil rights because their kids must wear mask.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...eing-record-numbers-of-children-with-covid-19 covid cases are on the rise in children so to people using old outdated information concerning kids and covid this should be a good read. I have a 10 year old asthmatic son who even though he no longer needs to use a inhaler he has had pneumonia several times when younger. And has been hospitalized before to be put on oxygen so I'm not one of those parents who would use my child as a pawn to prove some kind of point. There is a small group of parents in my child's school who were nasty and love to send sick kids to school before covid. I know some people are super human and sleep with women with stds unprotected, share eating utensils with people with strep throat, greeko roman wrestle with people that have small pox and drink mexican tap water without any problems. Unfortunately my kids have mere mortal DNA so I worry about sending them to school with some of these nasty children whose parents act like they have lost their civil rights because their kids must wear mask.
Hello; Sounds like you have already made up your mind.
Not sure if the following links will help.
CDC COVID Data Tracker

CDC COVID Data Tracker

These should get you to the most recent stats on cases and deaths. Still looks good for children.

soon hock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2011
in the water
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/us/baton-rouge-childrens-hospital-surge/index.html https://www.wtvr.com/news/coronavirus/these-are-hotspots-for-kids-to-catch-covid-19 https://www.wbaltv.com/article/fourth-child-dies-covid-19-maryland/37179493# https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/07/clues-about-mis-c-and-covid-19-kids/619447/ https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...cal-experts-warn-risk-young-children-n1274126 covid is on the rise in children. Some people think it's fine because kids have not died at the rates adults have. Covid is causing other problems with kids respiratory systems and doctors still don't know the long term effects of covid in children. Protect your kids and keep them away from weird selfish people. I'm done with this topic and this board thanks to all the people with common sense who consider people other than themselves during this pandemic. Hope everyone stays safe.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Sounds like you have already made up your mind.
Not sure if the following links will help.
CDC COVID Data Tracker
CDC COVID Data Tracker

These should get you to the most recent stats on cases and deaths. Still looks good for children.
Hello; Just looked at the CDC links above. Both links take you to the same place. Then you can decide what dates to look at and on the left the number of cases, on the right the number of deaths.

I went to the low peak of July 24 and then to July 31. I looked at cases for children from ages 0 to 15. The graph is in three distinct groups.
Cases on July 24, 2021 Age 0 to 4 = 34.3 age 5 to 11 = 48; age 12 to 15 = 57.4 (per 100,000)
On July 31,2021 Age 0 to 4 = 19.6; age 5 to 11 = 27.1; age 12 to 15 = 31.7

Just a week but clearly shows a decline in cases. In fact the number of cases in all age groups went down from a slight peak some days earlier. So according to the CDC cases are not on the rise as of the end of July. Cases in the age group are going down.

Went to deaths for the same age groups and dates. There was one death in all age groups ( age 0 to 15) in that week. That in the 12 to 15 age group.

Last edited:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Just looked at the CDC links above. Both links take you to the same place. Then you can decide what dates to look at and on the left the number of cases, on the right the number of deaths.

I went to the low peak of July 24 and then to July 31. I looked at cases for children from ages 0 to 15. The graph is in three distinct groups.
Cases on July 24, 2021 Age 0 to 4 = 34.3 age 5 to 11 = 48; age 12 to 15 = 57.4 (per 100,000)
On July 31,2021 Age 0 to 4 = 19.6; age 5 to 11 = 27.1; age 12 to 15 = 31.7

Just a week but clearly shows a decline in cases. In fact the number of cases in all age groups went down from a slight peak some days earlier. So according to the CDC cases are not on the rise as of the end of July. Cases in the age group are going down.

Went to deaths for the same age groups and dates. There was one death in all age groups ( age 0 to 15) in that week. That in the 12 to 15 age group.

Hello; went back to Jan 2, 2021 at a peak to look at the same age groups. This would have been before the vaccines and before delta I think.

I looked at cases for children from ages 0 to 15. The graph is in three distinct groups.
Cases on Jan 2, 2021 Age 0 to 4 = 143.7 cases age 5 to 11 = 204.1; age 12 to 15 = 309.4 (per 100,000)
Deaths on Jan 2, 2021 Age 0 to 4 = 0.03 deaths; age 5 to 11 = 0.01; age 12 to 15 = 0.04

Both cases and deaths were low back then. The death of any child is to be avoided. So, if anyone has a way to stop the deaths among children, such will be of great value.
If I had school age children these charts could be a place to look as the school openings get closer. Right now with even the delta cases mixed in the cases are going down and with one death. I would look at the end of this week again at the chart.

Reactions: celebrist

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
How are you and yours faring after the weekend?
Still don't feel great. Doing simple tasks like just making the bed takes it out of me. It seems to come and go. One minute your thinking, I seem to be feeling better and then it comes on again. The wife feels pretty much the same as me. My little girl still unaffected though, hope it stays that way.
Thanks for asking?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
One of the greatest issues with covid, are the unknown factors, that one can't find on a chart/graph/paper etc. The data does not currently exist. S soon hock had a very valid point, when they stated;
Some people think it's fine because kids have not died at the rates adults have. Covid is causing other problems with kids respiratory systems and doctors still don't know the long term effects of covid in children.
Even if you blindly believe everything that the various medical bodies, or govt are currently stating, including their data presented thus far, there are no stats anywhere in the world that provide long term (as in years) data regarding children, as that data does not currently exist. Ask a doctor that has treated children with lingering long-term (Long Covid) health issues from covid, and I suspect their comments won't be nearly as comforting as some of the info posted on the CDC website. The very fact that there is a term for this, ought to be enough to cause parents concern. Not every human that is infected with covid bounces back to normal pre-covid health, adult or child. Those statistics may still be several years down the road. A low case count is only comforting if you & yours aren't, and don't become, part of those statistically low numbers.

Children with long covid (nih.gov)

Long COVID and kids: scientists race to find answers (nature.com)

Not common, perhaps even quite rare statistic wise, still a very real concern for parents with young children.

Reactions: deeda and Stanzzzz7

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; since I posted CDC stats link, guess some comment is worth writing. There are lots of ways to consider this pandemic. The long term effects for some is for sure one thing to consider. It seems to be that out come is out of our hands. At least I do not know of anything to do about it other than do not become infected in the first place.

I had hoped for some clinical treatments or supporting medications that will help to be found beyond just keeping those with a bad case alive. I figure such is being looked for. I read about things used in some places but restricted in other places. How to work that out is beyond me and it seems to boil down to which place you wind up at if you get sick enough to need care. Luck of the draw I guess.
Not sure why the medical folks are at odds with each other about these things, but I can find varying opinions without looking too hard. Well some information is not so easy to find lately so I guess a better statement is I do not know what happened to some promising things. That puts it back to do not get infected.

We went over the precautions to take some time ago. Not much has changed except the vaccine.

The virus variant (delta) seems to be easier to catch which is bad. I have not read yet if it makes the illness worse. There has been a trend with other virus that crossed to a new host to become easier to catch and sometimes cause a less serious illness. Of course the virus is not mutating (drifting) only in one way. There very likely have been lots of versions around already. This delta being a more successful one. The answer needed now is about how ill this version tends to make people. If the reports are correct about it's level of transmissibility then it will be hard to avoid.

Reactions: celebrist

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Still don't feel great. Doing simple tasks like just making the bed takes it out of me. It seems to come and go. One minute your thinking, I seem to be feeling better and then it comes on again. The wife feels pretty much the same as me. My little girl still unaffected though, hope it stays that way.
Thanks for asking?
That's why you shouldn't make the bed ;)

Glad you two aren't getting worse and seem to be on the slow mend and also that your daughter is doing well

Reactions: Stanzzzz7
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store