how many flower horn i can keep in 6 feet aquarium

waqar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Pakistan
Hi dear
last night i buy 2 pair of flower horn about 2" please tell it will be good to keep 4 flower horn in one aquarium or they will fight? and also tell me best food available for flower horn :)

Regards
Waqar

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
flowerhorns are EXTREMELY aggressive and extremely territorial fish. i personally would not risk putting 4 flowerhorns in the same tank. even if you have male and female pairs, males have been known to kill their mates.

read up on flowerhorns, they tend to look much better and be healthier when their kept as the only fish in the tank. keep your favorite looking one, and sell the rest unless you want to take a HUGE chance of them killing each other

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
You can get a male and female together, but you have to make sure she has plenty of hiding spots. My male has killed everything else in his tank except her. They are in a 125 with plenty of hiding spots.

nain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2007
India
I would suggest that you use partitions to keep the flowerhorns. You can use either glass partitions or acrylic partitions along with divider suction cups. Flowerhorns are known to kill everything that comes in their way and hence it is best if you do not keep all 4 together...

kendrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
Fall River Ma.
ok....flowerhorns have the pitbull stigma around them..... i own 5 red dragons or ZZ's... a m/f pair live in one 75g central american cichlid community tank... i have never had a problem ... they even spawnd last week and were still fine in there... they are about 6-7" maybe 8" at the moment...they do fine...infact they get beat up by convicts when they are spawning there are also rainbow, severum, parrots, firemouths....all of these are smaller with the acception of the large male cons that are just about half inch smaller than the famales.... and the full grown parrots
in my second tank i have a large female, a large unknown sex/ type, and 2 juvies.... they live great with cons, jd, gt, tex, parrot, salvini,.....all of which are smaller!!!
never have they hurt any of the other fish or themselves....
what i would recomend is keeping them in a community tank form the day you get them!!! place them with hardy cichlids of the dame size(convicts work great) so they can get use to the company...even if you go buy cons for this one purpose it will benifit you in the end if you want an amazing tank with diversity!!!! and def allow for some hiding places!!!!
i think the issue people have is buying a flowerhorn that is use to being alone and cant adjust to the company of other fish, even if it is a female of the same speicies....

waqar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Pakistan
Thanks
so now the end result is that i can only keep one flower horn in tank? or should i divide and keep other fish also. and flower horn can also kill parrot fish?
i have many fish in my tank like,
Parrot fish on pair
Blue line shark
chilid
and now flower horn :(

Thanks again :)

thesamas

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2009
Champaign
1) if u wanna keep more than one in tank u should seriously consider partitions

2) try determining the sex of ur fhs first b4 taking any decisions

3) it all depends on the nature of ur fh ...some fh can be kept together but tend to get aggressive as they grow up since the fh is a territorial fish

4) u might be able to pair up a flowerhorn and a parrot later on!!!!! however in the beggining u may have a lot of fighting if u are not careful

nain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2007
India
Your sharks (irridescent sharks) will get ripped apart in no time.. Flowerhorns should be kept alone, some people have had success keeping them together but this is just plain good luck.. when flowerhorns start fighting then things will get tough and there will be lots of injured fish... Although some people say that their flowerhorns stay with partners, this doesnt mean that all flowerhorns can be kept together, since flowerhorns are primarily cichlids with each Fh possesing a different personality and tempremant.

It is best if you remove all other fish and keep the flowerhorns in partitions. I cannot stress on this fact any more than I have.

About food, try azoo 9 in 1 pellets, Hikari cichlid gold, market prawns/shrimp, and you can supplement their diet once or twice a week with ching mix or grand sumo.. Feed the FH 3 times a day , how much they can eat within 2 minutes and remove all the uneaten food....

waqar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Pakistan
thanks all of you soon i will upload some pictures of flower horn and my aquarium :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store