how many flower horn i can keep in 6 feet aquarium

oHsNaP1337

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2008
CA
I think a lot of aggression with flowerhorn's have a lot to do with how they are kept. Majority of flowerhorns are kept in solitary from the time they are post fry stage and that is what they are accustom to. So when people try to throw a flowerhorn that has been alone all it's life into a community tank, it just doesn't know how to act. I had a flowerhorn in a community tank with 5 other cichlids and it was fine. I introduced the flowerhorn when it was only about 2 inches and the other cichlids were all around the same size. So if you're gonna do a community tank, first make sure the tank is big enough, then introduce them when they are still small.

kdjohnson1971

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
Knoxville, TN
I just brought home my first two flowerhorns yesterday. They are juveniles and are about 1 1/2-2 inches. Until I get their own tank up and running I have placed them in our 55g tank with a group of cichlids. All of the fish are approximtely the same size.

The flowerhorns continuously flare their fins and turn red and they CHASE the other fish. Anytime another fish is near they quickly send them away. They are VERY aggressive and are only babies.

I will be getting their tank up and running a lot quicker than I had planned.

Ma12cus504

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
"Coco City"
you can put as many as u want, the more the better so the aggression is spread out. I have one tank partitioned and other as a big community. You can search youtube Ma12cus504 and view all my video :)

ILikeFlowerhorns

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
Oc,Ca
if there still young you can keep them together, but it'll help if you throw in 6-8 parrots not to big for them to chase around, but big enough for them not to die, it workss try it, how many gal is ur tank?

joncute

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
philippinnes
better you buy a glass divider that fits in your tank, then put it on the middle and keep 2 flowerhorn only to develop and see their potentials..

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
I have a cichlid community tank consisting of golden severum, jewel fish, geophagus and a Flowerhorn.
Over a week back a walking catfish, then a pleco ended up dead.
Don't know if this is the culprit.

IMG_20190908_164336.jpg

IMG_20190908_163807.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yeah this thread is old as dirt, but...

An odd dynamic I've seen with FHs is if the female is near or equal in size to the male she tends to shred or dominate. I've often wondered why people paired full sized males with 'barely legal' females...this is probably why. A guy who used to own a family buisness fish store in the neighborhood said that had been his experience. Thing is there's no way to know how big the pairs will grow!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store