how many flower horn i can keep in 6 feet aquarium

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah this thread is old as dirt, but...

An odd dynamic I've seen with FHs is if the female is near or equal in size to the male she tends to shred or dominate. I've often wondered why people paired full sized males with 'barely legal' females...this is probably why. A guy who used to own a family buisness fish store in the neighborhood said that had been his experience. Thing is there's no way to know how big the pairs will grow!

That, and an equal or close to equal sized female FH will often refuse to spawn with a male, that she feels does not qualify as being impressive enough. That often ends up with one, or both, fish getting torn up.

Reactions: islandguy11

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
That, and an equal or close to equal sized female FH will often refuse to spawn with a male, that she feels does not qualify as being impressive enough. That often ends up with one, or both, fish getting torn up.
Ah, that would explain it then...I could never determine the cause.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
You can definitely mix Fh with other fish i have done it numerous times. Theres a few steps u gotta take tho if u wanna pull this off ( especially if you want to have only a few tank mates where aggresion cant be spread out ). IMO the first thing u must do to give u good start is start the tank with the other fish u are planning to house the FH with.....make sure it settled in and big enuff to take on a FH.......u dont want to put the FH in first and let him get settled and very territorial ( a FH is already aggressive naturally and a territorial FH is even worse ) . I usually add a fh thats even slightly smaller than the existing fish....then after u add fh make sure i monitor and feed consistently. It might be a little nerve wracking but even if they show aggression just watch them and only pull apart if neccessary....many a times i have done this and there usually is a little scuffle in the first 2 to 4 days but then everything settles down....especially if the smaller fh realizes he cant win . Its all trial and error and i know alot of peeps think fh are solo deals but i just wanted to add my 2 cents and say this is not true..ive done maybe 4 or 5 times. Heres a pic of my 7 inch short body with my mbu puffer and albino red red oscar20190916_091045.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, it is doable, no argument there, totally depends on the fish being mixed with, tank size, etc-etc-etc. But the OP (10 years ago) was asking how many FH they could keep in a 6ft tank.

Show me a 6ft FH comm tank full of mature FH. Personally never seen one, at least not one that was successful long term. Lots of things can be achieved on a short term basis, I see those set ups on you tube all the time.

Most peeps recommend keeping a FH solo, because the vast majority of the time the person asking owns a tank that is pretty much only suited for one mature fish, that is known to be aggressive. Kind of like asking how many Midas one can keep in a 75-90 or even a 125 gallon. The best answer is still, and always will be, one, or at best 2 (a mated pair), which in the latter scenario usually means a tank with a divider in it. At least if you plan on keeping both fish alive long term.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Nice lady on Utube had (has?) a large FH named Humphrey...she tried to pair him with a large female devil. Welp, the she devil tore up Humphrey as she wanted to spawn...said she-devil was returned to the store. I haven't checked for updates with Humphrey but the videos are still up on the tube.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Nice lady on Utube had (has?) a large FH named Humphrey...she tried to pair him with a large female devil. Welp, the she devil tore up Humphrey as she wanted to spawn...said she-devil was returned to the store. I haven't checked for updates with Humphrey but the videos are still up on the tube.
Yeah I also like to watch DebTim a Canadian girl's YouTube videos, very pleasant lady and clearly loves her fish and the hobby. Unfortunately 'Bogart' (Bogey) died a couple of months ago and quite suddenly, due to what I think was possibly lymphocystis. She has a video up about, not pretty to see the results. Very sad as he had grown into a quite awesome ZZ Dragon with a huge head.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yeah I also like to watch DebTim a Canadian girl's YouTube videos, very pleasant lady and clearly loves her fish and the hobby. Unfortunately 'Bogart' (Bogey) died a couple of months ago and quite suddenly, due to what I think was possibly lymphocystis. She has a video up about, not pretty to see the results. Very sad as he had grown into a quite awesome ZZ Dragon with a huge head.
That's messed up...anyone getting a FH almost has to lower their expectations these days. If it's not one thing it's another with those fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store