how to reduce agression with bichirs?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I got 3 bichirs, a delhezi, palma and senegalus.
The delhezi and senegal are really nice and get along great. Only problem is that the palma has grown a lot and is sometimes attacking the senegal. He does leave the delhezi alone.
Can i do something to reduce agression on the senegal from the palma?

Tank is 80longx80widex40cm high with a massive sump. The aggression isnt that bad but if its possible to reduce it, that would be great.

Thanks in advance

IMG_1174.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 20.26.43.png

Attachments

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My male Senegal will nip at or harass the female when she is gravid. If you notice torn fins I suggest removing the Palmas.
+1.
I’ve always waited and let the dust settle. Has it been a while? If on going and real damage happens then do what Tom has suggested.

Reactions: tlindsey

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
+1.
I’ve always waited and let the dust settle. Has it been a while? If on going and real damage happens then do what Tom has suggested.
no real damage.. but i dont want him to be stressed. he chases him 4 times a day or maybe more. It hasnt been so long since he was only 9cm a month ago. just had a rapid growth spurt.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
add more bichirs
was thinking about it. But i dont wane overstock. And if they all start fighting it will get worse. Would u add smaller or bigger bichirs if you would add any?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
was thinking about it. But i dont wane overstock. And if they all start fighting it will get worse. Would u add smaller or bigger bichirs if you would add any?
I would add at least 2 bichirs to make the total 5. The aggressor will have to make a decision if it's worth wasting energy on 3 bichir versus just 1 right now. Whatever size you could get, but if I had a choice it would be as close to the bullied bichir's size.

Reactions: Krismo962

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I would add at least 2 bichirs to make the total 5. The aggressor will have to make a decision if it's worth wasting energy on 3 bichir versus just 1 right now. Whatever size you could get, but if I had a choice it would be as close to the bullied bichir's size.
i would consider adding 1 to make a total of 4 bichirs. But adding 2 sounds really like overstocking. Do you think 1 might work?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
i would consider adding 1 to make a total of 4 bichirs. But adding 2 sounds really like overstocking. Do you think 1 might work?
You can get 1 now and if it doesn't work get another one.

If you change 10 us gallons a day on that tank, I see no reason to not be able to keep 5 upper jaws (minus ornate, weeksii and teug). I see your tank roughly holds 65 US gallons of water. I've done this on a 55 USg with no plants and no substrate, and changing that much water a day keeps the nitrates below 10ppm.

Reactions: neko1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store