Feeder Fish
Jul 9, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have two bichirs that are showing white spots on their tail that are beginning to gradually grow. There is no fuzz so I’m 99% sure it’s Columnaris. I can’t get a lot of the good fish medications due to a bunch of restrictions, but I have aquarium salt, stuff called fungus clear that has some Nitrofurazone in it, I ordered from Kanaplex but it won’t be here till the 11th, a good bit of methylene blue, and some Doxycycline Hyclate.

so far I’ve left them in a hospital tank with the Doxycycline and methylene Blue they seemed to get better but then as soon as they were back in the big tank they were acting weird again. All they do is sit on the heater.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If it is Columnaris(?)
and the fish showed symptoms in the main tank, putting them in Q T (hospital tank) and then putting them back, in an already infected tank may not be enough.
Once Colomnaris bacteria are in a tank, unless the entir system is treated they are still there (including anything that touched its water.
Nets, siphons, tubing all net to be sanitized..
In fact this gram negative bacteria can go inert, and stay viable in a dry smudge of dirt.
The most effective med is an antibiotic used against gram negative bacteria..

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Post pics. Could it be heater burns?! Bichirs don’t usually get columnaris but can. Cover the heater for now.

Reactions: tlindsey and Hao
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store