Hybrid fish

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
duanes duanes is the biggest hybrid fanatic around here :thumbsup:
Nobody is a bigger fan of hybrids, I’d venture to say even HybridFinatic HybridFinatic doesn’t like them as much.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
what if someone had a aquarium with:
5 male and 5 female of one type of cichlid
and
5 male and 5 female of another type of cichlid that can hybridize with the other kind
would that mean they only would mate only with their same type or would all 20 of them mix breed?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
what if someone had a aquarium with:
5 male and 5 female of one type of cichlid
and
5 male and 5 female of another type of cichlid that can hybridize with the other kind
would that mean they only would mate only with their same type or would all 20 of them mix breed?
Depends on species. Some hybridize more readily than others. A convict will make a hybrid sooner than say, a Jack Dempsey. More than likely, the cichlids will pick their species over another, but there are always exceptions. The first pair will rid the tank of most competitors.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Other than the OB peacocks this is the only hybrid I have. I honestly wasnt a fan until the opportunity came up to help a friend, and this fish, out of a jam. These guys are ridiculously interactive.

In reality I guess all fish are when they only have you to interact with. Especially cichlids

20211009_235544.jpg

Batmanatron1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2021
Phoenix, Arizona
Nice fish! Here's a mix of different outcomes from a batch of vieja (father) and blood parrot (mother) I got from a buddy. The 2 big ones are male and the smaller is a female. The 3rd (Big Brother Bruno Blueyes) is breeding with a flowerhorn currently. He looks Vieja.

20211026_194631.jpg

20211026_194619.jpg

20211026_194615.jpg

20211026_193757.jpg

2Itiwhetu

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2021
Hokitika, New Zealand
I have bred Silver Dollars. A couple of things that they need, lots and lots of aquatic plants for their diet ( I used Indian Fern ) . Natural light, early morning sun strike is essential to induce spawning. They are vegetarian so they don't eat the eggs, no need to panic getting eggs or fry out of the tank. Here is a couple of photos of Mum Dad and the kids. This is a four foot tank they were in,
022.JPG030.JPG

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Nice dollars! Congratulations on the breeding. From the way you say it, it seems they bred repeatedly?
Would you show clearer pictures of the mother and father fish?
Also, what do you call these dollars? - Metynnis hypsauchen?

Reactions: Bbuckley

2Itiwhetu

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2021
Hokitika, New Zealand
Nice dollars! Congratulations on the breeding. From the way you say it, it seems they bred repeatedly?
Would you show clearer pictures of the mother and father fish?
Also, what do you call these dollars? - Metynnis hypsauchen?
These are historical photos and I no longer have this set up. There has been discussion which species they are and that is what I think as well. They breed continuously as long as the daylight hours are long enough. The largest fish in the middle of the tank is a male and female and there is a female large fish right hand side. Fin colour is the only difference in the sexes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have avoided this thread, but figured it was time to add my 2 cents.
Although there are those that find hybrids interesting.
There are those of us that are interested in keeping species integrity.
Once you create a hybrid, they and all their progeny become mutts, and loose integrity as a species.
So to any of us that breed pure species, those progeny are useless as breeding stock, so worthless. (unless used as feeders)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store