I am getting a giant Flemish.. any one else have one.. offer some tips.......

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Hi, I have 5 rabbits. I have a bonded trio and a bonded pair. They are all neutered/spayed and use the litterbox. What type of enclosure will you be housing your rabbit in? They need to have a lot of room since the flemish giant is so large. Their pen also needs to be tall enough so that they can stand on their hind legs. www.binkybunny.com is a great forum group about keeping house rabbits. I really encourage that you spay or neuter your rabbit because they can have some serious behavior issues and does are prone to reproductive cancers. They usually die before age 5 from cancer. Altering will stop aggression and help in potty training. One of my bucks sprayed me when he was a teenager to "claim" me ...he was neutered shortly after and he never did that again. Nothing like taking a nap, having a bunny jump on your bed and then spray you in the face with urine! If you don't have cats or dogs in your house, using a dog x-pen makes a great enclosure with lots of room. Also, they are sensitive to heat like you said, and you shouldn't keep them outside if/when it snows. Be careful of predators like raccoons or fox, and of course neighborhood cats and if you have dogs. I can't wait to see your photos. Flemmies make wonderful pets!
thanks so much for all the info....... very nice of you to share and especially good link with lots of info.. we ordered a beautiful set up from foster and smith... we are also making an enclosure and yard area for him in basement when it is too hot or too cold outdoors.. i will post some pics later today............ thanks again.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
thanks so much for all the info....... very nice of you to share and especially good link with lots of info.. we ordered a beautiful set up from foster and smith... we are also making an enclosure and yard area for him in basement when it is too hot or too cold outdoors.. i will post some pics later today............ thanks again.
Just a precaution, before you set up his pen make sure no actual ground is exposed unless you are going to put a giant box under the soil. He can and will dig tunnels and escape. Be very careful with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
yes thanks.. we have used chicken wire under the ground area of his yard... appreciate your imput.. good for everyone to know..

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
here she is.. now i have to think of a nice short name

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
;)bunny 011 (2).jpgbunny 010.JPGThe pics would not load earlier due to stormy weather ..hopefully they will now.. my new baby.. now to think of a name.. short and sweet..

bunny 010.JPG

bunny 011 (2).jpg

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
a couple more ;)

more of baby rabbit 001.JPG

bunny 017.JPG

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Call it Frank. I've always liked the name Frank.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Ps I have my wife talked into one of these guys now. I want one once the dogs go to doggy heaven (hopefully years away). Thanks Liz!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store