I can’t even take Petco

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Worked for Petland in the mid 80's in the fish department.
I did fish and reptiles early to mid 90's man i had no clue i just liked the free fish

Reactions: tlindsey

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I occasionally tour the tanks at a local Petsmart. When I do it is not uncommon to see dead fish in the tanks and employees standing around gabbing. I guess they need someone to tell them to tend to the tanks in their spare time. If I was going to buy I would certainly not buy from tanks with dead fish left to turn white and fuzzy. The fish department people don't have a clue, but hey, the dog groomer is pretty good!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I did fish and reptiles early to mid 90's man i had no clue i just liked the free fish

Two brothers owned this particular Petland and one was good with reptiles the other fish especially salt or reef setups. Learned a little from both of them.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Two brothers owned this particular Petland and one was good with reptiles the other fish especially salt or reef setups. Learned a little from both of them.
Oh no not my store. My manager and i were mostly concerned with the good looking customers lol "oh you want this fish... yeah sure, can i get your number" lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh no not my store. My manager and i were mostly concerned with the good looking customers lol "oh you want this fish... yeah sure, can i get your number" lol
I worked at shop called Pet Plus which also was owned by two brothers.They had a particular store manager who I did not particularly care for.I observed him giving free fish to various women on numerous ocassions.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I worked at shop called Pet Plus which also was owned by two brothers.They had a particular store manager who I did not particularly care for.I observed him giving free fish to various women on numerous ocassions.

I'll tell you one thing this manager had some great pick up lines... i used to think how the hell is he doing it lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'll tell you one thing this manager had some great pick up lines... i used to think how the hell is he doing it lol
Some people have the gift of gab lol.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Live fish sales typically only make up a very small portion of total store revenue in the larger chain stores, dry goods generally make up a lot more of total sales from that portion of the store (fish area) which again is still small compared to the rest of the merchandise sold in a big box store. (dog/cat supplies etc) Our local Petland fish dept has been ran poorly for over 20 yrs, yet they are still in business, and still selling live fish. Ditto to Petsmart, although they are better than Petland as far as overall fish health goes.
hello; I get it. I managed a drive-in theater back in the 1970's. We did as much sales from the concession stand as from ticket sales. I have a Wal-mart about 7 miles away with no fish at all and I do rarely buy fish care stuff if they happen to have it and I need it quick. Other wise I drive the 60+ miles and buy food and other stuff from the shops where I buy fish. I figure a place with decent fish needs thesales of other supplies.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store