I can’t even take Petco

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yes, precisely my point earlier in the thread- No matter how nice the LFS is, it's very easy for sick fish to slip by unnoticed! Agree to disagree about AF vs. others in the area, like you say to each their own.
:thumbsup:

Reactions: Gourami Swami

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Glad some of you have petco’s that are decent. I have no problem with chains. I would have no problem purchasing from the local petsmart (although I don’t believe I ever have) and have purchased fish from pet supply plus with no issues.
I see tanks with fish in this condition or multiple tanks with dead fish and it makes me hesistant to trust anything that comes from the store. In 20 years of fish keeping I have had ich one time in my tanks so it is not something I am used to or want in my tank. To each their own.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Glad some of you have petco’s that are decent. I have no problem with chains. I would have no problem purchasing from the local petsmart (although I don’t believe I ever have) and have purchased fish from pet supply plus with no issues.
I see tanks with fish in this condition or multiple tanks with dead fish and it makes me hesistant to trust anything that comes from the store. In 20 years of fish keeping I have had ich one time in my tanks so it is not something I am used to or want in my tank. To each their own.
Hello; I apologize that my real world experience does not happen to match your own. One thing I have noticed over the decades (5+) is the nasty fish shops have not stayed in business over much time. I will concede that soem of the fish shops I liked and found to be well kept have also closed but many fewer. The decent shops have usually lasted better.
I just do not figure the Petco and pet smart shops would stay in business if many were badly run. But yes to the each their own and I will be in one or both of the shops again.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I think you misunderstand me. I wish my petco didn’t suck. I am always looking for viable options to purchase fish. My LFS that I referenced earlier recently closed. The next closest non chain is about an hour away.
I am sure the popularity of online ordering has severely crushed the LFS but it is still nice to walk into a store and browse. My petco is not a place a feel comfortable buying a fish.

I would also guess that the chains are making their $$ from the supplies and services not from livestock sales.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I think you misunderstand me. I wish my petco didn’t suck. I am always looking for viable options to purchase fish. My LFS that I referenced earlier recently closed. The next closest non chain is about an hour away.
I am sure the popularity of online ordering has severely crushed the LFS but it is still nice to walk into a store and browse. My petco is not a place a feel comfortable buying a fish.

I would also guess that the chains are making their $$ from the supplies and services not from livestock sales.
Hello; All fish shops are 60 miles or more from my home and have been for years. I also never have and likely never will order live fish on line but I do get that so many do so now. I also figure this online shopping has hurt walk-in shops.

While I do not have any evidence nor experience to the contrary I try to buy supplies from the fish shops where I buy fish. Maybe others do it differently than I but if so I am not in a position to be aware.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I would say the issue depends on the individual store as far as care and not the chain in general. For example there is a Petco in Clinton MD that has poor fish care. I would see fish so dead they had turned to white cotton balls in the tank and the employees didn't give a rat's a**. Another time they mixed baby fish with hyper aggressive cichlids and they were isolated and tattered iin separate tanks. The employee I spoke to said someone did that out of ignorance. DUH, training????

There's another Petco at Hyattsville where it's a different story. In my area the Petsmart are a bit more consistent overall but I wouldn't say "better." One bum shipment can wreck your perception.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I just do not figure the Petco and pet smart shops would stay in business if many were badly run.
Live fish sales typically only make up a very small portion of total store revenue in the larger chain stores, dry goods generally make up a lot more of total sales from that portion of the store (fish area) which again is still small compared to the rest of the merchandise sold in a big box store. (dog/cat supplies etc) Our local Petland fish dept has been ran poorly for over 20 yrs, yet they are still in business, and still selling live fish. Ditto to Petsmart, although they are better than Petland as far as overall fish health goes.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Live fish sales typically only make up a very small portion of total store revenue in the larger chain stores, dry goods generally make up a lot more of total sales from that portion of the store (fish area) which again is still small compared to the rest of the merchandise sold in a big box store. (dog/cat supplies etc) Our local Petland fish dept has been ran poorly for over 20 yrs, yet they are still in business, and still selling live fish. Ditto to Petsmart, although they are better than Petland as far as overall fish health goes.

Yes Sir dry goods Cat and Dog food and accessories are top priority over fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store