I can’t even take Petco

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Actually these fish would be fine if they were put in a separate tank with a heater set at 87 degrees for about aweek you would see an improvement after the second date with the heat.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah havent been there in a while. Tanks are clean, good employees too. But way over priced. They dont cary anything close to what shark had tho. Not worth the drive for you unless your in the area. You should definitely check out monster if your ever in nyc.
I did hear that about their pricing quite some time ago..as for Monster, I have been trying to hype myself for the trip for a few years.I used to travel all over in pursuit of nice fish but more and more I am just not up to the hassle of long drives anymore....plus I heard it is in a busy area and parking is a pain in the ass.
I still miss Shark Aquarium though.I used to make it out there about once a month.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I did hear that about their pricing quite some time ago..as for Monster, I have been trying to hype myself for the trip for a few years.I used to travel all over in pursuit of nice fish but more and more I am just not up to the hassle of long drives anymore....plus I heard it is in a busy area and parking is a pain in the ass.
I still miss Shark Aquarium though.I used to make it out there about once a month.
yeah shark was the best man. Id say it was once a month for me as well, I used to take my son. he loved the place. I think you'd be bored in AB after about 5 min they stock the common stuff nothing to write home about. Oh yeah monster is in a real crowded area of queens. Definitely bring a king sized bag of patience with you if you ever attempt the ride lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
yeah shark was the best man. Id say it was once a month for me as well, I used to take my son. he loved the place. I think you'd be bored in AB after about 5 min they stock the common stuff nothing to write home about. Oh yeah monster is in a real crowded area of queens. Definitely bring a king sized bag of patience with you if you ever attempt the ride lol
King sized lol.....
We might possibly have walked past each other as we made our way around the fishroom at SA lol.I met quite a few members there over the years.....also heard AF was heavy on the saltwater side of things.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
King sized lol.....
We might possibly have walked past each other as we made our way around the fishroom at SA lol.I met quite a few members there over the years.....also heard AF was heavy on the saltwater side of things.

Ha that wouldnt surprise me. My son was probably just turning 2 when we started our little trips to shark.

AF has nice fish but the regular cichlids, plecos and small cats. Nothing that cant be found in an average lfs. I remember getting a tank priced and nearly wet my pants. Some outlandish number.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal

Was a sad day when Shark Aquarium closed down. What’s up with George Fear nowadays? Wonder if he’s still globetrotting and exploring the Amazon. Always wanted to go on one of his trips but never had the chance

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Was a sad day when Shark Aquarium closed down. What’s up with George Fear nowadays? Wonder if he’s still globetrotting and exploring the Amazon. Always wanted to go on one of his trips but never had the chance
Yeah same here.There was a member who put together yearly trips but I forgot his name and don't think he's been active for quite some time.....no idea what George is up to these days.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Oscar X starry night hybrid???
Since the Starry Night cichlid (Paratilapia polleni) is Madagascan, and lays grape like clusters of eggs, that they hang on roots, or plants and Oscars are substrate spawners (that place eggs on flat/hard surfaces) and are from South America, the likely hood of hybridizing is very remote.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Makes me question the quality of their suppliers.
This is the main reason I don’t like buying fish from chain stores.
Our new petsmart is really nice, always clean. I only had issues with ich once and it wasnt visible at the store. So this I blame on their supplier.
I’m just not always happy with the quality of fish in these stores. Their fish can be pretty drab at times. Or heavily chewed up from over crowding.
But I still really enjoy going to look around. It’s also a lot more convenient having a place closer to buy frozen food from.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
While I'm glad Petco/Petsmart and the like haven't invaded Thailand from a fish perspective, only LFS here, I am envious of the greater amount of accessories, supplies and frozen foods y'all have easy access to at them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store