I know it's an alligator.

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
1st and formost keeping an alligator as a pet is just plain dum. Its a 10ft 500lb killing machine with natural body armor and bite force strong enough to liquify your skull. It runs at almost 20mph in a sprint and can transistion from land to water seemlessly. However i recently decided to foster a gator from the lfs i work for. It was dropped at the front door in a stirafoam box. It's around a year in age and is roughly 25inches in length. It's extremely malnourished and skinny. I'm only nursing it back to health because it's in the predicament that's its in. I would never support the idea of keeping a dinosaur as a pet. I am inquiring to anyone who has successfully kept a gator for more then the first year or two. I want to know as a captive gator how should be cared for.It has a 125gallon 6ft long aquarium for its temporary foster home. Its equipt with 2 fluval fx6 canisters and it has a 160watt uva/uvb bulb for heat. The water is roughly 78F and the ambient air is at 85. The basking surface (an artificial island of sand and soil) hits 115F when dry. It lives with a few sliders and a map turtle who could care less that it's there. I believe I have covered all the bases as far as a temporary home is considered. I just want to know what's the best thing to get it healthy again. Is a specific diet going to help more then a schmorgesborg or everything i can get my hands on?. Is my heat rite should it be hotter or colder for building muscle mass and fat reserve? Will giving uncured lunch meat have life condemning effects.
I can not and will not keep this animal past the point of it's recovery however while it's in my care it will get the best it can possibly can. So am I doing it rite or do I need to fix something immediately?20170813_211859.jpg 20170813_205137.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Kudos on the gator rescue. I'd stay away from the processed cold cuts. You can offer the gator whole or filleted tilapia, catfish nuggets, chicken wings (bone and all), beef heart, chicken/calves liver, bait fish (shiners/minnows), etc. A good vitamin supplement, such as Herptivite,

herptivite_reptile_vitamin_kg4i-iw.jpg
will go a long way in providing anything missed in his diet.

My gator, Ruby, was the same size when I got her as a rescue animal. She was reported near a popular swimming area and was removed by F&W. I paid for the license and adopted her from the county. Ruby lives in a fenced-in 1 surface acre, fully stocked and planted, farm pond. I adopted her 10+years ago and she's pushing 9ft now and nearly 400 pounds.
ruby.jpg

ruby7.1.JPG

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Holy smokes that's big Oddball Oddball ! Good luck with your gator Dgmannn412 Dgmannn412 :)

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
Ok thankyou. I have plenty of vitamins and other supplements I can add to the food. The recovery should be pretty easy. I can already see a difference in movement and overall quality of life. I have had it for less then a week and it seems to get better and better by the day. It's out of the water basking it chases the turtles it's snapping at me for the fisrt time since I've been in contact with it. The only thing I don't see in this short time is the size rebound. I have a nack for getting things to there full potential in record time so hopefully it continues through this endeavor.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Dang Oddball Oddball remind me not to piss you off that thing could make bodies disappear!
Don't piss me off if you come to Africa! :p

Ok thankyou. I have plenty of vitamins and other supplements I can add to the food. The recovery should be pretty easy. I can already see a difference in movement and overall quality of life. I have had it for less then a week and it seems to get better and better by the day. It's out of the water basking it chases the turtles it's snapping at me for the fisrt time since I've been in contact with it. The only thing I don't see in this short time is the size rebound. I have a nack for getting things to there full potential in record time so hopefully it continues through this endeavor.
Great to hear!

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Dont mean to hijack your thread. Dgmannn412 Dgmannn412 just have to ask.
Oddball Oddball Do you feed Ruby and if so what and how much?
I'm guessing a goat or a few chickens?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Ruby's pond is stocked with bullfrogs, crappie, sunfish, and channel catfish. So, she eats what and when she wants. I also offer her part of my fishing catch and chicken pieces. There's a processing plant near town where I can buy 30 gal and 50 gal drums of chickens and chicken parts (the stuff that's not visually appealing to go to a grocery store). Ruby will always climb the 30 foot embankment from the pond to the fence whenever she sees me holding a white shopping bag. She knows the bag means she's about to get treats.

ruby4.jpg

bullfrog.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store