I know it's an alligator.

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
I don't mind the side conversation it has provided more info as to how to go about long term care. But now I must ask how is your relationship with ruby. Can you make physical contact? If given the opportunity would she eat you? There's a story I read about a gator named Rambo. It has caused me to think a considerable amount about my situation. Apparently the owner is being forced to relinquish the animal due to new regulations in her county. However she dresses it sleeps with it and watches t.v. together. I don't understand how one would get a gator that tame unless it's sick or there's some internal problem that keeps it from acting as it would normally. I have seen wild gators and then captive ones and the captive ones don't show as much fight but they still lash out violently at anything that approaches. So again how does one get an alligator into bed and live? Is the gator sick or is there a way to actually bond with a cold blooded animal? I have turtles that act like I'm the devil and a monitor that hates to be looked at let alone touched. I've have had all since juvenile stage and they all still posses the natural instinct to avoid contact and flee when I approach. I have worked diligently to maintain as natural of an environment as I can to keep them comfortable and stress free. I'm just wondering if my urge to recreate nature has prevented me from developing a true bond with my animals?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
We have a relaxed relationship. Meaning; we recognize each other and don't display aggressive traits towards each other. I've been able to get close to her, and handle her, when she was smaller but, she would inflate or tense up occasionally. My job also had me traveling quite a bit so, I couldn't have daily interaction with Ruby. Yet, she continued to grow. Once she reached a size where there was a danger of real harm if she took offense I quit trying to make contact. Now, I'm happy that she recognizes me when I visit and approaches the fence when she sees me. She still doesn't display aggressive behaviors towards me. It's enough for me that she remains healthy and happy. I don't need gator hugs to prove anything to anyone.

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
So what I gather is a healthy dose of respect and one could grow to recognise you as a neutral party as opposed to food or threat. So 2 things dose she nest if there are no presumably candidates for breeding and if so have you tried to approach the spot she made it in? And 2 If given the opportunity what should she do if you were to hypatheticly hop the fence and go for a swim? Will you then be a target or will you remain the neutral party. PLEASE DON'T GO JUMPING INTO YOUR ALLIGATORS ENCLOSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But if you have before what happened. Obviously if the animal is used to repatative visits at the same time with the same shapes and smells I could see it recognizing you in a routine but what if you do something different? What happens when you show up without a treat?

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
I guess what im trying to determine is is your relationship with ruby like mine is with my monitor Sid. I can pick her up if i absolutely have to. She dosnt like it and will fight with me to be let go. After a little time she will stop the fighting but stays tense and defensive. If I let go she's gone. Wants nothing to do with contact. Yet at the same time she hates everyone else no one can approach without tail slaps hissing and the occasional open mouthed charge. If I leave a limb in reach she checks me out and then retreats but if someone else dose it she attempts to get a mouthful of person. I'm confused as to why this occurs. Is there a bond even if it's just a slight connection or has it simply come to understand I'm not going to harm it. I know there's a big difference between the 2 but the principle is the same i think? There both cold blooded reptiles with the sole purpose of survival and procreation. So can one develop a personal bond with a creature that posses no affection for anything.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
In gators, their brains are wired for aggression and survival. I never tried to anthropomorphize their behavior against human behavioral traits. So, a healthy respect and tolerance is all I chose to aim for.

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
In gators, their brains are wired for aggression and survival. I never tried to anthropomorphize their behavior against human behavioral traits. So, a healthy respect and tolerance is all I chose to aim for.
Makes sense to me thankyou for all you have shared

Reactions: Oddball

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I have gone into her enclosure in the past. For cutting back vegetation and throwing a cast net to ascertain the food fish population levels and to pole measure to the bottom to check the mulm buildup in case we had to plan a pond bottom dredging. Also for restocking. The enclosure maintenance was during her active seasonal period. We used 5 pounds of chicken wings to lure her into a cage trap. The trap was kept covered to keep her calm while we waded around her territory. She dug herself a waterline recess by a log fall that she hibernates in during winter. That's the time of year we chose to restock her pond with hatchery fish. Frogs and tadpoles were added in early Spring when she was still lethargic from a lower ambient temp. I would release the amphibians from the opposite side of wherever she was. She would slowly swim over to investigate what I was doing. But, she's never chased after me up the embankment as I was leaving.

davelin315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Although I want to get a gator for my plans to build an aquarium, I would caution you on keeping one as I used to run an aquarium and learned a lot from the keepers and how we kept ours.

First off, check to see whether you can actually possess this animal where you live. Many municipalities have laws against crocodilians and if you run amok of the law, you may regret the rescue.

Second, they eat whatever comes their way. We used to feed ours a variety of foods including fish, birds, rodents, and invertebrates. They were never very adept at catching live fish but once in a while they would get lucky (we kept some bluegills with them). Keeping turtles with them works until the day it doesn't - meaning they will eat it if the opportunity comes up or at the very least, take off a chunk of leg or shell.

Third, in terms of feeding, NEVER feed it by hand. Feed sticks are an absolutely essential element of feeding them as if you get them used to eating from your hand or they associate you with food, then guess what, you become a possible menu item for them. It may not be on purpose but accidentally biting your arm off hurts as much as biting it off on purpose. Not trying to criticize, but once they associate you with food you have a problem, especially since they will also lose any possible fear they might have of people. That's why in places where they have gators they tell people not to feed them and not to handle them - this results in loss of fear. Gator farms have no problem feeding their gators as they are all destined to be slaughtered for their meat or skin one day. Many places that keep gators have deals with gator farms to get hatchlings from them and then trade them back in for hatchlings once they outgrow their enclosures. These gators are not released back into the wild, but into controlled environments where they are culled so there's not as much risk in them losing their fear of people. They are intelligent enough to associate colors with feeding (we trained ours to respond to specific target colors so that we could monitor individual's and how much they ate) but they are also wild enough to never lose the reflex to snap at anything that moves. One of my most prized moments was when a gator bit my shoe because I moved it as it walked by. Yes, an odd moment to prize but it was pretty fantastic since it did not pierce my shoe and let go after it couldn't roll me - it was only about 40" long at best.

The average person will never have enough space to house an alligator throughout its life and the average zoo or aquarium will never take one in because they simply don't need them or have space to take them in. As much as it would suck to have it be eaten eventually or turned into a belt or boots, your best bet is to call an alligator farm and see if they'll take it because it will outgrow anything you can keep it in within a few years.

All of that aside, they are pretty awesome and if I could get the permitting and zoning exception, I would have one in a heartbeat but I also have plans to have a public aquarium where I could house multiple adult alligators in a safe setting in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store