I think you over feed your fish!

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
I fast my koi for about 30 days every winter... sound cruel, but ive done so for 10 years. I would alway loose koi in the cold months, or all kinds of health issues... was feeding high protein, way back then. 4Now i fast and use wheat germ from october to march. Have zero sickness and... lovely clear water. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
I feed my 2 armatus on Saturday and Sundays then they starve for the rest of the week until feeding time again. They are on live minnows only (that's all they want and aim for :(

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

keeno2086

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2015
kingston, uk
I feed 3-4 times a day. very small amounts, never any left over. I feed something different every time I feed them throughout the day.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Think about how offten a fish will feed in the wild? Its sporadic, some days they get little to no food, and the next day they could get a feast. I think that random, unscheduled feeding is best(unless like stated your fish have a tendancy to go all crazy killer when not kept well fed). Alot of people get worried if there fish goes a day or two without food, a healty fish should last days or in some cases weeks without food. And another benifit of light feedings is when they do get fed you get to watch a true feeding frenzy, but if you have overly aggressive fish id be wary of this.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I feed 4-5 days a week in most tanks. Puffers twice a week. I know I don't overfeed them and they are much more alert and attentive to what goes on outside the aquariums.

Sent from my car phone

I tend to feed my small fishes only one meal a day, and my puffer only gets fed every few days... so don't think overfeeding is a problem on my end... maybe underfeeding, but definitely not overfeeding...
Excellent!

Think about how offten a fish will feed in the wild? Its sporadic, some days they get little to no food, and the next day they could get a feast. I think that random, unscheduled feeding is best(unless like stated your fish have a tendancy to go all crazy killer when not kept well fed). Alot of people get worried if there fish goes a day or two without food, a healty fish should last days or in some cases weeks without food. And another benifit of light feedings is when they do get fed you get to watch a true feeding frenzy, but if you have overly aggressive fish id be wary of this.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Agreed. Good thoughts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store