Icefishing

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
Since where I'm from there are no walleye or pike in my lakes, i Just fish for LArgemouth/Crappie(black)/Pickeral/Sunnies/PErch... I cant wait to go and bring the bobhouse down to MY pond and setup all my traps.. the only bad part is chizzling the holes since i have no auger... but i dont usually get drunk while ice fishing anymore, 5 of us all fell thru drunk one day trying to save each other... ever since then i just clambake the bobhouse,. Jiggin/traps dont matter what it is, i love it. The trick to finding the fish is you need to find the stream of current. Good ol Shiners or swedish pimples will catch u your limit. I dont eat fish, so i ALWAYS release!

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
ewurm;604373; said:
I once dropped a dead sucker to near bottom. A big pike came in, looked at it and didn't take it.I was using egg shells on the bottom for contrast, and the pike actually nibbled on the eggshells, but ignored my bait. What type of deadbait do you use? Smelt?

With that boom method I would use a trout or silver fish that is indigenes to your lake for example here I would use a Roach have even used jack pikes. But with the next rig the best things are really oily baits with the heads cut off like mackerel or sardine. Then I normally inject them with fish oils so the sent gets into the water. Works for me;) . This is my first choice but have used.

Eel sections 6 inch are a deadly bait particularly for Zander
Roach or Rudd are a natural bait for both Pike and Zander
Smelts are a deadly bait for Pike in particular
Spratts are an excellent but can fall apart if casting so ok for ice fishing.

But my No1. Is still Half Mackerel excellent casting bait, plenty of oil escapes once in the water

let me know if you have any luck and lets see those big boys on the ice.:naughty:

floatrig.gif

br0102pike6.jpg

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
My uncle uses smelt, I am going to try it this year. If it doesn't work I can feed them to my bass.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
Zorro;605464; said:
We just use golden shinners or the largest we can get.

SHIners are my bait too for the traps, rapala's and swedish pimples for jiggin

JAK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2006
mn
love it cant wait.but will have to for at-least one more week.ice still on thin side for me.jigging and tip ups.and yea beer cant forget the beer.

Zorro

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Meriden CT
Just ordered a cabelas fish eagle jigging pole 28inch medium action for panfish/walleye and I also got two chubby darters. One problem I wish I could of ordered some ice:cry:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store