Ideas for an all Amphilophus tank....

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Update on the Petsmart "devils"

Just a blur of action before feeding, lol. The one up front is the second choice runner up, but I really have a feeling its a female. It has very symmetrical eye pattern which makes it look pretty cool. A bit more elongated that the dominant one. The littlest one is feisty and nips at the big bala's, also a major digger with a bit more elongated look. Eats like a pig but is a slow grower. This one I will probably rehome soon, think it is male.

IMG_20200107_070700117_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20200107_070704385_BURST001.jpg

This one is the one I like best, very outgoing, good thick build and hump coming in at about 4". Looks like it will be a solid orange. Have not seen any aggression yet toward the other two devils and zero interaction with the larger hoga's that are about 6". Its growth rate has been very fast and will likely surpass the large hoga soon if it continues on its path. Its true that sometimes the 'Mutts' are the best. This one so far is the keeper from the Petsmart group.
IMG_20200107_071242817_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Comparing the Hoga to the Petsmart red devils, it is interesting how much more "domesticated' the Petsmart fish are. The Hoga act a lot more leery and very little interaction or begging. I am not sure what generation the hoga are but they do seem to act much more like wild caught fish I have owned in the past. The midas in the garage growout are pretty personable but I think the hands down winner for 'wet pet' is the Petsmart red devil. If I had to keep just one, it would be it.

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Thanks, the tough part comes soon... need to thin down the herd and start figuring out the keepers before I get too attached and just buy more tanks to keep the extras.
I hear ya! I actually went a little overboard and got 3 Hogas and 3 Chancho and will have to do the same sooner rather than later. You’ve got a lot more real estate than I do though, I’m just shooting for a pair of one or the other for life in a 6x2x2 with a 40g sump .

Anyhow, yours look great :)

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I hear ya! I actually went a little overboard and got 3 Hogas and 3 Chancho and will have to do the same sooner rather than later. You’ve got a lot more real estate than I do though, I’m just shooting for a pair of one or the other for life in a 6x2x2 with a 40g sump .

Anyhow, yours look great :)
Have you started up a thread yet? I really want to see the hoga you have and how they turn out.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Not yet, 2 male Chancho come in today from Ken Davis, got a female from Dan along with the 3 Hogas. The Hogas are pretty sweet looking though, more color than I thought!
I will start one up this weekend unless you want to share this one :naughty:

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Not yet, 2 male Chancho come in today from Ken Davis, got a female from Dan along with the 3 Hogas. The Hogas are pretty sweet looking though, more color than I thought!
I will start one up this weekend unless you want to share this one :naughty:
Awesome, cant wait to see your pics when you get all the fish in.

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Here is a full tank shot. They’re all still pretty skittish so it may be a while before I get decent pics. It’s weird because the female Chancho is like 2” bigger than the two males. The Hogas are the opposite (female smaller than 2 males).

I will either have three Chancho or three Hogas soon and then choose my lone male from there.

E2C5F54E-0504-43B7-B009-DA7BCB726821.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store