Identify a catfish at my LFS

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It does appear to be a Sperata sp. at first glance, but I don't see any nasal barbels. That and the adipose doesn't quite have the right shape. The snout is also rather short for Sperata. My guess would have to be Megalonema platycephalum.
a very nice find IMO
You wowed me. Great job! 100% correct ID.

I'm not familiar with this fish at all other than, as stated above and in their profile, they are confused with B. vaillantii when young. https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?task=&species_id=1186

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, this looks pretty much identical to it. It is definitely some sort of Shovel head/nose, I have found another example here: https://www.aqua-imports.com/shop/product/burmese-shovelnose-catfish-sperata-acicularis/
So in fact it is some sort of sperata Catfish...
The characteristic black spot you are referring to is in glaringly different location in young Sperata and in Megalonema. Gotta be more careful, in fact a lot more careful, when comparing photos and fish.... and making conclusions.

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
You wowed me. Great job! 100% correct ID.
Thank you, I really do appreciate that coming from you. However I'll admit the reason I probably was able to know right off the bat was since this is species I've wanted for quite a while. For whatever reason the body shape overall is just appealing to me, similar to Pim ornatus just marginally smaller.
Likewise, I am unable to give any info other than the name and a possible size estimate

LimaShovelnoseSaltwater92

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Thank you Renegade Aquatics Renegade Aquatics for identifying this fish for me, and thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter for confirming. Now, I wish I would have bought it when they were selling it as a “False Dorado Catfish” for $40 three weeks ago, but nobody bought it, and it has been moved 2 times since then to different sale tanks until I finally took interest, but now it is sitting there with a NFS tag and to inquire with an employee. Now I will have to go back in this week and see if they will sell it as they were doing a few weeks back...:goldfish::thumbsup:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

LimaShovelnoseSaltwater92

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Update: went in yesterday and asked if they would sell it. The guy said that he would talk to the person in charge. They realize they have something rare here, and I hope they decide to sell it because I have grown attached. He said to check in again mid this week, so I will. My 150 gallon is waiting.:arapaimag:clap
PS: I just laugh when I think I could have bought him a few weeks ago for $40 as a “false Dorado Catfish”.:duh:

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Actually meant sperata acelaris. Something spelled like that. It is like. Golden shovelnose
Thanks for explaining.

Acicularis.

Of course, as has been stated, Sperata's trademark black spot is on the adipose fin. M. platycephalum's is on the caudal peduncle.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store