Identify this "kamfa flowerhorn"

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I went to my local LFS today and fell in love with this little guy. They have him and several others listed as kamfa flowerhorns, but none of them have the rosettes on their sides like I would expect from FH and none of them have large nuchal humps. Can anyone tell me what this actually might be?

The thing is, I hate large nuchal humps and one of the reasons I've never purchased any of the cool-looking hybrids is because I assume most males are going to develop one. So far this guy doesn't have any sign of one. Do you think there's a chance it's just some weird CA hybrid that won't get one?

I like that it doesn't have the weird short-body look or deformed lips/face like a lot of the LFS flowerhorn I see.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Search the forum if you dont trust your lfs.
The LFS is just listing them as what they were received as. They had six “kamfa flowerhorn” in various tanks in the store but all had different colors and body shapes. I don’t know enough about hybrids and flowerhorn to know what constitutes a kamfa or doesn’t; it’s why I started the thread.

I have spent the last hour looking through kamfa threads here and I am not seeing any that look quite like the fish I posted, but I don’t know if that’s due to mislabeling, or grade/quality, or high variation among individuals, etc. I’m hoping someone more familiar with hybrids will offer some clarity.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
If you're into flowerhorns the best advise i can deliver to you, is for you too look for a dealer with a damn good reputation. Lfs, like the bigger chains buy from breeders that do mass breeding aka inbreeding and the quality of the fish is lost. It's mostly about profit instead of quality. If you really like the fish i'd say buy it, at least the pearls are exceptionally nice. They're all hybrids if you think about it! If it's a specific type, then my first plan should be activated. It might be a low grade kamfa!

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I guess my point was, I don’t like flowerhorns, mainly because I’m not a fan of the koks and the bulldog faces. I was wondering if this fish had the potential to develop those. Most actual FH I’ve seen by the time they’re this size already have a considerable nuchal hump.

I think I’m going to go back and buy it. Worst case scenario if it starts to look odd and humpy later, I can probably rehome him/her. I’d been on the lookout for a nice purple rose queen as a wet pet but they’ve not looked so great at my local stores lately, and today this one caught my eye instead.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Time will tell, looks to be a decent size. As far as i can tell, it's might not have that ridiculous bubble head. I'd say go for it, the reason being it would have a kok already if it was that type you don't like. I seen them below three inches and have a huge kok developing. It caught you're eye for a reason!

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Yeah, this guy was already 4.5” or so. There was another one a tank over that looked more like a pearly red Texas... it had the CA cichlid body shape and white pearls all over with a golden yellow base color, which would probably darken up a bit if they weren’t stressed and in small tanks. They did have a few “typical” LFS flowerhorn with giant koks and rosettes, short bodied fish, about 3”. Everything was listed as “kamfa” but they were all wildly different fish. I’m sure they all came from Segrest in south Florida.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
The pearls are amazing on that fish and the reds might stretch over time. Follow that feeling, because out of all of them. That one caught you really good. Go for it, before it's too late. We all despise that late feeling.

Reactions: ryansmith83

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
To me doesnt even look like a flowerhorn. That fish will not grow a hump like a big one but may develope a little one like most cichlids.
That’s how I felt. I’ve seen enough flowerhorns over the years to have a general feel for how they should look. I mostly stick to breeding South American and West African stuff. Not a big hybrid guy so I don’t know the ins and outs of it. But this one really jumped out at me because while it’s obviously a hybrid it’s missing the obvious parrot and flowerhorn traits. I think I may go back and get it tomorrow.

Reactions: d033ie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store