Identify this "kamfa flowerhorn"

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I guess my point was, I don’t like flowerhorns, mainly because I’m not a fan of the koks and the bulldog faces. I was wondering if this fish had the potential to develop those. Most actual FH I’ve seen by the time they’re this size already have a considerable nuchal hump.

I think I’m going to go back and buy it. Worst case scenario if it starts to look odd and humpy later, I can probably rehome him/her. I’d been on the lookout for a nice purple rose queen as a wet pet but they’ve not looked so great at my local stores lately, and today this one caught my eye instead.
It's not super easy to ID many Flowerhorn nowadays given there's so much mixing going on, but imo yes that's a Kamfa, very possibly with some Red Texas mixed in.

But to answer your question (while not throwing out insults to other kinds of Flowerhorns like ZZ's, which many in this sub-forum do appreciate), it's not likely to get a very big hump because:
a) Kamfa have way smaller humps than ZZ's; their humps also grow way slower. Kamfa also often have less pronounced flowerlines or rosette's as you call them.
b) If it's got some Red Texas blood it'll have an even smaller hump than a regular Kamfa.
c) It probably is but I'm not 100% sure it's a male -- it doesn't seem to have any black along the dorsal fin like many females do, but would need to get a good shot of his/her vent area to know for sure.

Actually I'm also not into big humps nowadays (been there done that) so I also prefer Kamfa, here's mine who's about 2 yr. old now, and his hump won't really get any bigger; and for comparison I'd guess the hump on the fish you pictured will likely be about same or even smaller.

So if you're not into massive heads, I'd say go for it! Big or small heads aside, you will love its character :)

Reactions: ryansmith83

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It's not super easy to ID many Flowerhorn nowadays given there's so much mixing going on, but imo yes that's a Kamfa, very possibly with some Red Texas mixed in.

But to answer your question (while not throwing out insults to other kinds of Flowerhorns like ZZ's, which many in this sub-forum do appreciate), it's not likely to get a very big hump because:
a) Kamfa have way smaller humps than ZZ's; their humps also grow way slower. Kamfa also often have less pronounced flowerlines or rosette's as you call them.
b) If it's got some Red Texas blood it'll have an even smaller hump than a regular Kamfa.
c) It probably is but I'm not 100% sure it's a male -- it doesn't seem to have a black along the dorsal fin like many females do but would need to get a good shot of his/her vent area to know for sure.

Actually I'm also not into big humps nowadays (been there done that) so I also prefer Kamfa, here's mine who's about 2 yr. old now, and his hump won't really get any bigger; and for comparison I'd guess the hump on the fish you pictured will likely be about same or even smaller.

View attachment 1373794

So if you're not into massive heads, I'd say go for it! Big or small heads aside, you will love its character :)
Thank you for that explanation. I was trying to research what exactly made a kamfa a kamfa, but the stuff I found through google was pretty vague. I assume that it’s a lot like domestic discus — so much crossing going on that it’s really impossible to know the genetics and therefore the outcome. It’s sort of a wait and see thing.

It definitely has a personality. He was baring his teeth at the glass when I was looking at him.

Is there any chance it might fade and the colors change? I like the way it looks now, though some more red would be cool too.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Welcome and yeah it often is a wait and see kind of thing -- but if you take good care of it I'd wager it's red will come out even stronger. I'd suggest Hikari Bloodred Parrot+ as a supplementary (but not staple) pellet.

And yeah, many love you and want to kill you at the same time :) If he's got some Red Texas blood he'll be even ornier, they're hyper-territorial.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
That’s how I felt. I’ve seen enough flowerhorns over the years to have a general feel for how they should look. I mostly stick to breeding South American and West African stuff. Not a big hybrid guy so I don’t know the ins and outs of it. But this one really jumped out at me because while it’s obviously a hybrid it’s missing the obvious parrot and flowerhorn traits. I think I may go back and get it tomorrow.
Yah to me it looks like green terror and blue acara seems to have genes from fish like tht I like it though u would hate my flowerhorn.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: ryansmith83

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Anthony, that second fish is beautiful and it’s actually shaped a lot like the one at my LFS. Those are two different fish and not before and after shots, right? Lol

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Anthony, that second fish is beautiful and it’s actually shaped a lot like the one at my LFS. Those are two different fish and not before and after shots, right? Lol
Yah thats a female im trying to breed with him probably the best looking female ive ever seen lol. Hoping to get some males with tht coloration.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
You guys lol. Most fh do not get moster nuchal humps, bulldog faces or short bodies and if they do they are desirable because thats what fh people want. It looks like a female and is most definately a flowerhorn. Thats why I said search the forum, kamfa specifically is what I would search. Green terror or blue acara cannot hybridize with a fh. Not opinions but facts. There is almost 2 decades worth of fh info in this subforum. If you are considering a fh yet actually dislike them then tread the path already walked and have a look around here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store