Identifying little cichlid

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
And your opinion is wrong.

Puskar is absolutely correct here " Vieja are not as aggressive growers as Oscars pacus pbass ".
Agree that oscars, pbass & pacus are absolutely fast growers. Oth, aggression tends to vary even within the same species. That's why we like cichlids. Their personalities are rather personalised.

Reactions: Fishtank6575

Ashtons Fishroom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2021
They look like Veja synspilum juveniles...
As i noticed the body shape and coloration are extremely alike to synspilum :)

Reactions: Al KW Tan

Chinnavar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2018
The Netherlands
You sound like you have failed as a fish keeper. Ive read for years now how every fish you have had ended up murdering its tank mates. Over and over you tell the same story. Some how this has earned you a top spot on this forum.
That's a bad take my guy. Duanes has achieved a truckload more and has done a lot more for the fishkeeping hobby than 90% of MFKs userbase combined. I dont get why you'd have such an opinion about one of the most knowledgable people on this platform. smh

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
" I have had Vieja pin larger cichlids like dovii and managuense in the upper corners of a tank, shred and kill them. "

Thats ****ed up fish keeping!!
Nope, that's what can happen if you keep cichlids. Even if you provide a big enough tank etc.
It's actually a good example. It may work several times for a lot of people but you can always be unlucky and get the one individual fish with an outstanding character that suddenly "snaps". Means it just shows the more extreme end in the range of natural behaviour. In the evening everyone is doing good and in the morning you wake up and see dead fish.

Duanes is doing everything right by telling everyone about this kind of incidents to make people more aware.

It was said here that Astronotus is more aggressiv than Vieja. But that's just a point of view.
Yes, an Astronotus will show more aggression in the average compared to most Vieja but if a Vieja really wants it can make an Oscar look like a puppy. It simply has the more dangerous set of teeth and jaw structure.

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
I stand by what I said and I didnt say he wasnt knowledgeable.

Sure everyone makes mistakes or surprises and accidents happen. At some point its the fish keepers responsibility to change the situation to prevent those things.

Im not going to go and find the examples in all the guys post! They are way way to numerous to be chalked up to accidents.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I stand by what I said and I didnt say he wasnt knowledgeable.

Sure everyone makes mistakes or surprises and accidents happen. At some point its the fish keepers responsibility to change the situation to prevent those things.

Im not going to go and find the examples in all the guys post! They are way way to numerous to be chalked up to accidents.
So your hinting at the possibility he fought his fish to the death on purpose. Hmmmm....ok. Why make such a ridiculous claim like that with no proof?

Ashtons Fishroom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2021
Guys calm down! we all may have different opinion doesn't mean we can still get on as an MFK community! P.S anyone who try's to make a claim about, how something is or how something should happen then you need proof otherwise its just more bunk on the internet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store