Illegal fish questions

A

AquaAlex1993

Some poeple are a bit more forward than others. I can assure you that EVERY member who responded to this thread has a wealth of knowledge and experience. Try not to be too defensive, you'll receive harsh criticism now and then, it's part of being young..,we were all there once upon a time. Some of the people who criticise you are the ones you will learn the most from. Trust me on this
I agree 100 percent, my friend. If I did that when I was younger, I would have avoided a lot of problems. Some criticism will actually help you. I was always upset when I was criticized when I was younger, that I was in denial. I had a personal friend sit me down and tell me what I needed to hear and that criticism is not a personal attack rather they are trying to help you, some people may just come out and say it while others may work around it.. but the point is always the same.

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
I agree 100 percent, my friend. If I did that when I was younger, I would have avoided a lot of problems. Some criticism will actually help you. I was always upset when I was criticized when I was younger, that I was in denial. I had a personal friend sit me down and tell me what I needed to hear and that criticism is not a personal attack rather they are trying to help you, some people may just come out and say it while others may work around it.. but the point is always the same.
Hahaha who would have guessed that I would be getting some great life advice on a fish forum. But I'm not complaining at all

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The message has probably been hit home already, but if i were in your shoes, i would probably have done the following (if i wanted to take action):

1. Find out what the exact scientific name of the fish in question is??? Since as mentioned before common names are a killer in this hobby!!!

2. If it really is an illegal species, first talk to the store manager or the person in charge of importing the fish and explain what the problem is in a calm and collected manner...

3. If that doesn't work, then notify the companies HQ, coz as a big chain store, i'm sure they do no want to be involved with a major legal battle regarding an illegal species of fish, and if necessary tell them that you may even report them to the authorities if nothing is changed...

4. Finally if all else fails, then and only then would i consider reporting them, mainly because the hobby as it is around the world seems to be suffering, so i would be very cautious about reporting a business unless i was absolutely sure it was done on purpose and not an honest mistake...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I don't think wolf fish are banned anywhere in the USA, I may be wrong then.

Nope no Asian arowanas allowed in USA. Only silver arowanas, black arowanas, jardinis, and leos.
It's best if everyone copy & paste their state's list into a word doc and refer to it if in doubt of the legality of a potential purchase.

BTW, the wolfish, Hoplias malabaricus, is illegal in CA and FL.

Benno87

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Australia
Or you can just get over it and stop trying to big note yourself on a forum theoscarfishking. Honestly mate you sound like a bit of a tool threatening to dob in this shop without actually knowing exactly what sort of fish they are offering up.

Benno87

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Australia
Even if the fish is illegal I can't see a purchaser releasing one into the wild after forking out thousands of dollars for a specimen, and also if it even was an Asian aro there is no way a hobbyist would purchase one not knowing what the repercussions would be. As already stated the hobby has already suffered enough damage without young do-gooders like yourself inflicting anymore trying to make a name for yourself and look hardcore. A pretty harsh respnse but yea Aussie, Asian or South American aro/togas who cares? Pretty much the same fish at the end of the day.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Or you can just get over it and stop trying to big note yourself on a forum theoscarfishking. Honestly mate you sound like a bit of a tool threatening to dob in this shop without actually knowing exactly what sort of fish they are offering up.
Wow, he came here asking for advice. I would have no issues with reporting a store in my country if they had been doing something illegal. I very much doubt that if you owned or managed a store you wouldn't know what is legal and what is not. There's a reason some animals are illegal, just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean no one would.

Benno87

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Australia
Honestly, I just think there are far more important things in life to get worked up over then whether a shop is selling Asian aros or not, especially when South American aros and Australian Saratoga are already legal in the USA. I live in Australia where Asian aros are illegal too but I've seen them for sale here and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Especially considering we are allowed to keep the SA variety. Seems a tad hypocritical IMHO.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Honestly, I just think there are far more important things in life to get worked up over then whether a shop is selling Asian aros or not, especially when South American aros and Australian Saratoga are already legal in the USA. I live in Australia where Asian aros are illegal too but I've seen them for sale here and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Especially considering we are allowed to keep the SA variety. Seems a tad hypocritical IMHO.
Wow,another country besides the U.S. actually bans them lol?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store