Illegal fish questions

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
I'd start buy asking point bank if it's an asian or not. Ordering fish you don't intend to actually buy is not a very good way to establish a good reputation in the hobby.
Okay so if they say it is an Asian what should I do because I don't think they know exactly what an Asian looks like because don't the jardini look pretty similar
Just looked it up and they do look really similar I kind of want one now ahaha but in all seriousness what should I do if they say yes to asian

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

I have a local pet store that is selling wolffish and I was wondering if in the state of Ohio are they illegal
I don't think wolf fish are banned anywhere in the USA, I may be wrong then.

Oh okay and are red arowanas a sub species of silver arowana or a sub species of Asian arowana
Nope no Asian arowanas allowed in USA. Only silver arowanas, black arowanas, jardinis, and leos.

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
I don't think wolf fish are banned anywhere in the USA, I may be wrong then.

Nope no Asian arowanas allowed in USA. Only silver arowanas, black arowanas, jardinis, and leos.
Yeah that's why I was so surprised when they said red arowana and I looked it up and saw an asian

A

AquaAlex1993

Okay so if they say it is an Asian what should I do because I don't think they know exactly what an Asian looks like because don't the jardini look pretty similar
Just looked it up and they do look really similar I kind of want one now ahaha but in all seriousness what should I do if they say yes to asian
Asians are illegal in the USA, so if they did import it to their store, they will face a hefty fine and even could be forced to shut down. But I really doubt it's an Asian.
Next time you are in, take a picture of it and we can tell you what type it is.
I can almost guarantee that it is either a jardini or a leocharti

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
Asians are illegal in the USA, so if they did import it to their store, they will face a hefty fine and even could be forced to shut down. But I really doubt it's an Asian.
See the thing is they said that they are only able to get them in if someone requests it because they are so expensive

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I guess if it were me I'd be tempted to buy it! Lol...probably be best to let it be. If in fact they were selling asian aros the would get caught for sure at some point anyway. I highly doubt they are, people are willing to pay 10's of thousands of dollars to obtain an asian aro in the states just because they are so hard to get. I wouldn't get too worked up about it myself.

Reactions: jaws7777
A

AquaAlex1993

This is a jardini, there is a red variant of a jardini but they are not dark red as you would imagine.

jar.jpg

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
You better start back at the beginning of this thread

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
I guess if it were me I'd be tempted to buy it! Lol...probably be best to let it be. If in fact they were selling asian aros the would get caught for sure at some point anyway. I highly doubt they are, people are willing to pay 10's of thousands of dollars to obtain an asian aro in the states just because they are so hard to get. I wouldn't get too worked up about it myself.
Haha the Asian arowana is the fish I dream of having but I know it's only a dream

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store