I'm baaaack! 970 Gallon Pond Project

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
BlindSight;4968393; said:
he has it labled saying its to control the flow....I guess when you start turning the valve towards off it makes the opening smaller and smaller changing the flow.

LOL If any little piece of detritus gets caught on the ball valve, the tank will flood. I was thinking maybe there was a good idea in there that I was missing. The drain should always be able to flow more than the pump can push. If you wish to control flow, the only logical way would be to add a T fitting into the pump return line and use a ball valve to return some of the water to the sump. Properly designed drain plumbing needs no valve to control flow, as gravity will do that on its own based on the pump output.

mcox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Piscine;4968222; said:
Not to be rude, but may I ask why you are putting ball valves in the overflow plumbing?
yeah I put valves on there because I wanted to be able to tune the flow just incase the overflows were to provide too much water... But the mag 24 is a thirsty beast so the valves will most likely remain wide open.

krylon fusion is fish safe... I've used it before with no negative effects.

To start the overflows you need water on both ends of the pipe and you remove (suck).the air out through the check valve.

Ill post more detailed pics later.... Im off to work. C ya.

mcox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Piscine;4968419; said:

LOL If any little piece of detritus gets caught on the ball valve, the tank will flood. I was thinking maybe there was a good idea in there that I was missing. The drain should always be able to flow more than the pump can push. If you wish to control flow, the only logical way would be to add a T fitting into the pump return line and use a ball valve to return some of the water to the sump. Properly designed drain plumbing needs no valve to control flow, as gravity will do that on its own based on the pump output.
If one of the OFs were to clog the tank would not flood... The wet dry is 50g and operates at maybe 30g and the main tank has the capacity to take on probably another 100g.

On smaller applications I believe your theory would be correct but for a surface area as large as mine extra precaution won't harm. The water sits about 1" about the tip of the intakes on the OFs during operation... This is why I was concerned about "too much water intake"...

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
mcox3;4972636; said:
If one of the OFs were to clog the tank would not flood... The wet dry is 50g and operates at maybe 30g and the main tank has the capacity to take on probably another 100g.

On smaller applications I believe your theory would be correct but for a surface area as large as mine extra precaution won't harm. The water sits about 1" about the tip of the intakes on the OFs during operation... This is why I was concerned about "too much water intake"...
Ahhh. I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't mean to whore your thread up with the picture. :D

mcox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My JBJ controller and 800watt finnex titanium heater should be in monday... Now to track down some scrubbies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store