IN, MI, WI, IL, OH, MN, IA, MO, KY, TN meet?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Aquatic Experience is also in Chicago.

Simplest thing would be to announce and host an Monster Fish get-together at an event that's already planned and organized by another fish club and being held in a central location (e.g. GCCA or ACA or Aquatic Experience). Host a hospitality suite one night of the event. Volunteer to set up a couple of display tanks in the lobby of the host hotel. Sponsor a speaker. Bring in vendors of monster fish.

Trying to organize something from scratch, especially when there are already fish events going on at the same time and area, is going to be tough.

Matt (who has several MFK t-shirts from ACA conventions)

Yea.... definitely trying to get an MFK event going. Something where we can bring in a wide array of wet pets small to monster for show or sale/trade. I almost feel like to get any attendance from MFK members there needs to be like "Hey! Free beer and food for MFK members!!!" The Mid-West just has no coherence. I personaly don't care for a giant meet containing just cichlids (except oscars.) I want to go to a convention and see a tank full of neon tetras and then walk to the other side pf the hall and see an Arapaima in all it's glory. Not into the species specific meet.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Aquatic Experience is also in Chicago.

Simplest thing would be to announce and host an Monster Fish get-together at an event that's already planned and organized by another fish club and being held in a central location (e.g. GCCA or ACA or Aquatic Experience). Host a hospitality suite one night of the event. Volunteer to set up a couple of display tanks in the lobby of the host hotel. Sponsor a speaker. Bring in vendors of monster fish.

Trying to organize something from scratch, especially when there are already fish events going on at the same time and area, is going to be tough.

Matt (who has several MFK t-shirts from ACA conventions)
We get it you like promoting existing clubs. Don't the jersey guys have a shop tour almost every other month?

Last edited:

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
The east coast has something going on almost all the time. The West coast has died out a bit since a few key members have been absent. The Aquatic Experience Chicago is something I didn't know about. That's cool and I'll be attending that.

So it would seem as though us few mid-west MFKers need to find us something to do in the Schaumburg area and lock in a date. Fishing trip? Ihsnshaik Ihsnshaik could lead a LFS tour? Just meet at Navy Pier and enjoy a few drinks and shoot the breeze?.........?????????

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
The east coast has something going on almost all the time. The West coast has died out a bit since a few key members have been absent. The Aquatic Experience Chicago is something I didn't know about. That's cool and I'll be attending that.

So it would seem as though us few mid-west MFKers need to find us something to do in the Schaumburg area and lock in a date. Fishing trip? Ihsnshaik Ihsnshaik could lead a LFS tour? Just meet at Navy Pier and enjoy a few drinks and shoot the breeze?.........?????????
I've got 3 or 4 lfs's I wouldn't mind stopping at.

What about seeing if Soloman could meet up with us at the sheed then going to navy pier for drinks on the ferry?

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
fishguy306 fishguy306
Duckman77 Duckman77
Beester15 Beester15
Siddons11 Siddons11
Jsteckman Jsteckman
moosemj moosemj
Jörmungandr Jörmungandr
T Thekid
Ihsnshaik Ihsnshaik

This is everyone who piped up and said they where interested. So what's everyone's schedule looking like?

Reactions: Beester15

Jsteckman

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
Quad Cities, Iowa
Not much in the way of scheduling conflicts with me, I do have a few kids and that sometimes throws a wrench into things but as long as I know a couple weeks in advance I'm good

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
S Silent Bob going to stay silent?

CichlaLoverer CichlaLoverer you know you want to come down.

Beester15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2015
Chicago
Call me crazy, but....I found that I prefer Milwaukee for monster fw fish over the Chicagoland area. Chicago pet shops just don't have the stock anymore...

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
Beester15 Beester15
It's not just about the shops man. You'll be able to talk about fish stuff all day and no one will roll their eyes at you! Just sayin

Beester15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, I hear ya. Just sayin, that if anyone wanted to do shops in Chicago, there isn't much....I would love to talk filtration on a massive scale :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store