Internal overflow filter for 330 gal - Need experienced advice.

Dai Sakana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2016
Hello guys and gals,

for last few weeks I've been working on design of my upcoming aquarium and filtration system.

Is there anyone with lots of experience with overflow filters? This is version 8 :D

Aquarium size will be 225x90x60 from which 25x90x60 will be the filter here's diagram, so you get the idea.

There will be no holes, not gonna make a sump, no external filters. (that is decided and cannot be changed - floor weight issues, no matter where the filter will be, weight has to be the same.. so i would rather have it inside)

ok now for the actual filter, side look from inside of the aquarium.
All sizes are using metric system (so centimeters, liters)

ok so the first partition is competely connected to the aquarium and is protected by the net, overflow starts at the upper par so it starts UP and then goes down etc.
First actual filter chamber is meant to do mechanical filtration(coarse sponge/foam - 10PPI?) work and stop most of the dirt/particals/waste from entering the bio part. To ensure that it wont get there, we have a wool on top of the second chamber below overflow.
Second chamber has more sponge/foam(20 PPI?), but finer, meant for biological filtration.
Third chamber has more sponge/foam (30PPI?).
Fourth chamber is full of sera Siporax or similar high quality ceramic media for bio filtration
Fifth chamber is where it gets interesting, fifth chamber will have the least of water (pumps working) and there will be noise made upon water descending from the overflow, that's why the foam is right below it. But the water has to flow fast here, so there will be 2 cm of free space so it can go over if needed.

The green stuff is plastic tray meant to help with flow, it's in all chambers, it's meant to help the water get where it wants and leave as much space possible so it wont clog.

Since I've never built an actual overflow filter, I have to ask, will this work as intended ? The pumps (Jebao DC 2000 x2) will be adjustable. Each can go from 600 to 2000 L/H and can be controlled by a remote .. so i can figure out the exact best flow. by trial and error.

I expect to clean the first chamber once the flow stops going as fast as normally.. wool will be thrown out when needed. I think that at first (small fish) it wont need much cleaning.. but when they grow to substantial size, it will require cleaning more often.

Goal is to make the chamber 1 and wool, the only things that need cleaning. Other chambers should remain clean for months ideally.

Anything you would change here? Are the partitions in the filter correct? Especially the height of partitions. All of this is a theory by my... I must say somewhat average understanding of water flow...

Thank you :)

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If it's anything like a Matten filter, member on here has been running those. Jasongonefishing.

Dai Sakana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2016
Hello,

no, this is exactly like your average sump overflow filter, that big aquariums kinda use. People run them under the aquarium. This is the same thing, but inside of the aquarium, no hole in the aquarium, no piping outside the AQ.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store