Introducing Flash

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Love him narayanang76 narayanang76 ... would give him a home any day!!

My Flash also does that sometimes, in fact her and my Flagtail often lie like that side to side at the bottom of the tank
At first I was petrified but after a few minutes she is up and about and eating and eventually I accepted it as normal

Now, I also have a new baby chilli red ..she is about 17cm now and this week she has started doing the same thing.
I got home one afternoon and she was also resting under a high piece of wood.. I nearly had heart failure but as soon as she saw me she came straight away to the front and is perfectly ok
She is eating.. now I see she does that every now and then
My son always teases me and says she is in hunting mode waiting to eat my clowns!!

Jokes aside.... im beginning to think this is normal?...
Thanks MariaS MariaS , I feel much relieved to hear that you have also observed this behavior in your Aros.

Main thing was since this goes against the common understanding that Aros are top dwellers, and barely seen at the bottom of tanks. That was my main worry, even though I could fairly assume that nothing was wrong with Flash, he was fine otherwise. I found it strange/funny sometimes when he is actually 'sitting' on sand, I have seen that he has a 'designated' place too where I see him mostly, seems like his 'couch in his living room' may be lol. First few times I was really worried, then this became regular. I havent seen this with Flash in my earlier tank, it was a bare bottom tank.

Good luck with the new Chilli Red, what do you name him/her?

Last edited:
Reactions: Matteus

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Thanks MariaS MariaS , I feel much relieved to hear that you have also observed this behavior in your Aros.

Main thing was since this goes against the common understanding that Aros are top dwellers, and barely seen at the bottom of tanks. That was my main worry, even though I could fairly assume that nothing was wrong with Flash, he was fine otherwise. I found it strange/funny sometimes when he is actually 'sitting' on sand, I have seen that he has a 'designated' place too where I see him mostly, seems like his 'couch in his living room' may be lol. First few times I was really worried, then this became regular. I havent seen this with Flash in my earlier tank, it was a bare bottom tank.

Good luck with the new Chilli Red, what do you name him/her?

You mentioned the sand in this tank and bare bottom the previous tank.....Maybe you have a point there......
Mine have always been in a sand bottom tank with two pieces of wood and some plants
The wood is not high as to not be dangerous for Flash, they mainly for my clown loaches when they want to hide and play.
So both my Aros are in an environment like nature and although they mostly on top they swim all over.. through the wood.. they go under the wood.. they everywhere.
Sometimes it actually does look like Flash is hunting and I used to worry that she is chasing my other smaller fish but its not that... she doesnt harm anyone, she just goes to check what they doing?
So maybe the sand makes him feel comfortable?

Thanks.. I have named the baby chilli Spooky......
When she arrived here (3 came in) she was at the importers a few weeks.. she was very small and didnt show much colour and I dont know why but she became very, very nervous and scared of everything... you couldnt even get near the tank and she darted away across the tank she was so scared
Somehow it also looked like she was developing a slight drop eye on one side.. dont know if it was caused by an injury when she darted around???
Anyway my heart went out to this baby and i bought her...
Battled for two months to get her to relax and not be scared and start eating but finally.. she has settled nearly 100% and even takes food from my hand..
Sorry for the long story... but this is why i called her Spooky...

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Check this out - Flash doesn't like news papers lol.

These days if we go near his tank with a newspaper in hand, we are seeing this. Not sure what is the message, I assume its a territorial behavior or aggression, or he is playful? not sue..

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store