Is Bruce starting to fade......

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
Hi All, new member here saying hi to all forum members.

Back drop on Bruce.

He is a F2 King Kamfa (med KOK) dont like the big silly massive KOK's on fish. I dont have images of parents, but was told by the dealer if I was lucky he might fade red to white (based on parents) if not he will most likely have a red base body with pearls. Hes currently 3.5/4 inches long, and was imported from Thailand at the start of the year by the dealer. I have had him now for several months and he is completly settled and happy - however sometime for no reason he can be very skittish...

He has a 300 litre (UK) tank to himself with an FX4, sand substrate and temp is 30 celcius. Diet consists of Hikari floating and sinking gold pellet with the occasional prawn. Water is hard with a PH 8, with 40% weekly changes (anybody have issues with Flowerhorns trying to rip owners fingers off whilst cleaning tank walls lmfao)

Forum members is Bruce starting to fade?

When I first got him he had very even body colour, however over the last few weeks I have noticed the top half of the fish has lost most of black in the second flowerline (not centre flowerline row) and its been slowly replaced with a lighter pink/orange and sometimes very white colour. In this same time its head has started to get red colour come thru and he's fins have started to change to red. However having said this sometimes he's body can appear almost gold in colour with the exception of the red on he's face.

First image is Bruce saying ''HI''with a face picture. Next three images were all taken today. The last two images are closer to when I first got Bruce, so you can see the differences.

PS. Images are super crap quality... I am sorry.

PPS. Fist time posting, if I have done something wrong I appologise.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
Sorry forgot to add this image. This is when Bruce first arrived, again as a reference point. He seems to be growing new pearls constantly, is this normal?

7.jpg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
absolutely normal.... flowerhorn will go through lots of changes as they get older... my guy actually lost most of his flower and turned more pink as he got older ?‍♂
So you are suggesting that Bruce is not fadding correct?

Thanks for your reply man.

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
he looks like a regular red dragon.. magma.. whatever you wanna call them now.. not a fader. hes just growing and getting more color
OK. I got him purely on the basis of shape and eye colour
really nice body shape on him... i like kamfa and if you dont like the huge nuchal humps kamfa would be the way to go... this is my old male ZZ

I actually choose him due to body shape and eye colour, so im glad you noticed the shape.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
That's a beautiful fish and definitely looks like a kamfa. I choose kamfa for similar reasons. Cichlids can be skittish because of fast movement.

I have very similar set up, 75 gallon, fx4 filter. I would suggest to keep temperature lower, something like 27°C is much better for kamfas. If you decide to lower the temperature, reduce by 0.5°C per day.

Fading is genetic throwback to red devil genes. It can happen to any fish at any stage of their life. In this cases that's not what's going on with your fish right now. It can still fade or not fade in future. Fish while small, have color that better camouflage them, and loose some black color as they grow.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
he looks like a regular red dragon.. magma.. whatever you wanna call them now.. not a fader. hes just growing and getting more color
Definitely not a red dragon and magma isn't same as red dragon. Magma is bloodline of fish, some say made through kamfa x red dragon, some say it's inbred red dragons for certain traits, I am not sure about characteristics either.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Definitely not a red dragon and magma isn't same as red dragon. Magma is bloodline of fish, some say made through kamfa x red dragon, some say it's inbred red dragons for certain traits, I am not sure about characteristics either.
I get that may be true... but people can and do call there flowerhorn whatever funny name they wish.. as I understand a red dragon is usually a zz strain is it not? And this looks more kamfa.. but it does not look like a fader?‍♂

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store