Is it possible a tank can fail to cycle?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'm on rainwater too and am glad to be able to perform large water changes straight from the tap with no dechlorinator! I need to invest in another storage tank before summer for water changes on the 2000L so I don't end up in the same situation.

I'd try track down a canister full of established media off a friends tank that you can use in the mean time until your tank recovers. I'm usually not a fan of them but the "bottled bacteria" type products that LFS sell to help speed up the cycle would probably help too. I would keep an eye on the ammonia and do a water change if it starts getting too high, but not enough to remove it completely or there will be nothing to cycle your filters.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I'm on rainwater too and am glad to be able to perform large water changes straight from the tap with no dechlorinator! I need to invest in another storage tank before summer for water changes on the 2000L so I don't end up in the same situation.

I'd try track down a canister full of established media off a friends tank that you can use in the mean time until your tank recovers. I'm usually not a fan of them but the "bottled bacteria" type products that LFS sell to help speed up the cycle would probably help too. I would keep an eye on the ammonia and do a water change if it starts getting too high, but not enough to remove it completely or there will be nothing to cycle your filters.
Had a check about, no-one I know has a spare canister.

My ammonia is currently about 4ppm on the 6 foot, and 0.25 on the smaller tank.

What level is "to high"and water change should be done?

Is there any way to test my tank water to see if there are any remaining chlorine or chloramine from when the wife filled it with town water?

I was thinking about buying another 2262 and getting that running also...What is good turn over for my messy fish? I have been running 2080 & 2262...2080 is dead waiting for replacement head, should I ditch the 2080 for another 2262?

Sent from my One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
What happened to the moving bed filters?

The 2260 is not established yet and the 2080 which was established is no longer on the tank. You had this same issue a couple months ago and your tank is heavily stocked. You probably need to rethink what you are doing. Do you understand how the nitrogen cycle works?

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
What happened to the moving bed filters?

The 2260 is not established yet and the 2080 which was established is no longer on the tank. You had this same issue a couple months ago and your tank is heavily stocked. You probably need to rethink what you are doing. Do you understand how the nitrogen cycle works?
Hi, the moving beds are still there, and this is the same problem as a few months ago....this is the same collapse of cycle! It has never recovered, hence this thread...

I have removed 8-10 fish from the tank to reduce the stocking levels...I sold all the "common" fish that are really acquired again, but the ones I have left are my fave and I'm not selling them off.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The only safe level for a tank that has fish in it is Zero.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
The only safe level for a tank that has fish in it is Zero.
Understood but I can't keep doing water changes, till ammonia at zero.

Someone posted "water change if the level gets to high" and I was asking what's to high?

Also should I add prime as a daily dose?

Dr.Gonzo4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2013
New York
I've recently saw a video on YouTube of a guy doing a 3 min cycle, he takes the sponge, wipe the big particulates off the outside, swishes the sponge in a cup of tank water from the uncycled tank, and pours that water into the fresh tank.

You may want to let it run for a bit before fish though. The water is going to look like poop and its counter intuitive to put nasty murky water in your tank at get over itm lol.

This method you don't need to fully sacrifice an established filter or substrate and all you need is a fresh plastic cup!

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.Gonzo4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2013
New York
Just do a search on YouTube of 3 minute cycle and some guy will be filming himself doing it for some website

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
You don't necessarily need another filter...just some "mature" media...or gravel from an established tank.

Matt
So you reckon if I drop a basket of a friend's media into my canister, and wait a while it would fix me up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store