Is Luther Sick?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Just a quick update. Luther ate 3 goldfish (2 in morning one in afternoon) Friday. Vitachem added. Would not eat any Saturday.
Cleaned tank Monday. Today he eagerly ate some FD krill. 3 times.
I think he is still healing but this is a good sign.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Does it still swim with clamped fins and does it scrape its body at all?
No flashing for a week. Fins erect quite often. He is looking pretty good. Got some nicks on his head a while ago but they are healing. I really believe the water changes/ cleaning and vitachem are helping the best. No salt in water for weeks now. Plus he ate vitachem with the feeders last Friday which I think helped a lot. He is pretty active but sometimes rests at bottom. But he has done that at times all his life.
Today he came up to eat like the "old Luther". He still can't eat a lot. Next feeding I will try a stick or 2.

Reactions: kno4te

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
What water conditioner are you using for water change? The if the flashing is just after water change it could be chlorine burn. If your using safe you could not be using enough. The dosing on the bottle isn’t correct. S squint turned me into this information.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The current dosing on Seachem Safe has become conservative since 2014. The old instructions had folks using 1 teaspoon per 200 gallons of water. I know my area uses 4ppm of chloramine, so I use the old dosing of 1 teaspoon per 200g, Using 1/4 teaspoon per 50 gallons hasn't given me any issues, even when filling an empty 55g and stocking with fish immediately (did this a few times already).

Reactions: TheWolfman

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
It's no coincidence that the old Safe dosage removes the same amount of chlorine as the current dosage for Prime.

1 mL of Prime per 62 gal sounds insane yet that's exactly what the new dosage of Safe is...

Reactions: TheWolfman

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Good morning people. First off I want to thank everyone for your input. This is what MFK is about. Giving input based on your knowledge and experience. Trying to help.

I think Wolfman had a post on flashing and I read the posts on the Safe. Think I did a Like. Anyway, I have approximately doubled the amount I use when doing water changes. I always premix in a water bottle just before I put water in. Dose before adding water. I also add more as I'm adding water.
It's been cold lately so I also need to add warm water.

Luther has not flashed for a week or more. In fact it almost looks like Luther and Theo were courting last night. Clearing an area of the tank last night (plants and rocks). Some gill flaring and some real vivid colors. Bumping into each other and stuff. Sort of weird behavior. So I am real positive but still monitoring.

Another thing. This tank really blooms diatoms. For the last 2 cleanings I have cleaned the inside of the acrylic thoroughly. It bugs the fish more during the cleaning but it seems Luther has improved since.

I think him eating feeder fish with vitachem really did him good. My hopes are his immune system is conquering this.
Now lets see if he keeps eating krill and maybe sticks.

Reactions: squint

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
No flashing for a week. Fins erect quite often. He is looking pretty good. Got some nicks on his head a while ago but they are healing. I really believe the water changes/ cleaning and vitachem are helping the best. No salt in water for weeks now. Plus he ate vitachem with the feeders last Friday which I think helped a lot. He is pretty active but sometimes rests at bottom. But he has done that at times all his life.
Today he came up to eat like the "old Luther". He still can't eat a lot. Next feeding I will try a stick or 2.
So it was flashing.... clamped fins are a good sign of some kind of protozoan parasites on his body some which you can’t see just by looking at it. Glad it’s doing better but if it starts flashing again get ready to treat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store