Is my fish tank cycled?

Is the tank cycled? Please reply and they specify why/why not below.

• Yes, its cycled and ready for fish.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, its not ready for fish.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
Hello all, i have a 4 foot fish tank (48 gallons) that I've been cycling for peacock cichlids for about a week now. The water test strip shows as follows:

120 GH ppm (mg/l)

120 KH ppm (mg/l)

7.5 - 8.00 PH (The colours almost in-between, leaning to 8.00)

0.5 NO2- NITRITE ppm (mg/l)

20 - 30 NO3- NITRATE ppm (mg/l)

~Im not sure if there written properly, i just tried to copy what was on the bottle.~

In the tank i have 8 baby crayfish/yabbies, two white cloud minnows and two baby guppies. My test strips don't have ammonia on them but i think it should be fine if the nitrite is fine? This is my first time cycling so i am a little bit confused. Just trying my best! :)

As far as any sickness or issues with the cycling fish, they seem very healthy- i haven't been able to clean up the poop because i have no siphon currently, i have been suggested a turkey baster but they are nowhere to be found in AU, and i need something for water changes as well. The yabbies/crayfish/crawdads have been eating the fish poo readily, but not their own, i feed the fish flakes daily and the yabbies 5 pellets a week. One of the white clouds gills have been looking a bit red, but i think it is just their normal colour. I plan to put 7 peacock cichlids and a breeding trio of electric yellows in the tank.

I have tried to give all details possible, please no time waster answers of "Your tank will be crowded" If any peacocks get to big, i plan to sell them. I have asked people about stocking and most said it was fine. If you have any VERY strong issues with the stocking please tell me, but other then that, i would like nothing of the subject. I plan to keep 5 of the yabbies/crayfish in the tank, as they seem big enough to not be eaten, but if they are then no great loss.

Thank you for all help! :)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
A properly cycled tank should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Do you have an ammonia test kit? :)

Edit, never mind, just re-read the first post, no ammonia kit.

Reactions: tlindsey

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
A properly cycled tank should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Do you have an ammonia test kit? :)

Edit, never mind, just re-read the first post, no ammonia kit.

Should i get an ammonia test kit? And also, how would i go about getting the tank to 0 nitrite, just more waiting? I was planning to wait another week before putting fish in, but i don't have enough seachem stability (what i used to cycle the tank) to keep dosing, will i need more?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Id suspect just more waiting, and an ammonia kit will help for sure. If you have fish in the tank while its cycling, you really don't NEED more Stability, but if you think its been helping so far, it probably wouldn't hurt to get more.. Also, are you using a good dechlorinator to detoxify the ammonia, nitrite etc?

Reactions: tlindsey

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
Id suspect just more waiting, and an ammonia kit will help for sure. If you have fish in the tank while its cycling, you really don't NEED more Stability, but if you think its been helping so far, it probably wouldn't hurt to get more.. Also, are you using a good dechlorinator to detoxify the ammonia, nitrite etc?
Im using sachem prime for that. :)
I really don't want to get more stability, so you think id be okay without it? i might just take a water test to the petstore to get it tasted for ammonia, and dose with prime every second day for a couple days.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I really don't want to get more stability, so you think id be okay without it? i might just take a water test to the petstore to get it tasted for ammonia, and dose with prime every second day for a couple days.

Yes take a sample of aquarium water to your lps and let them test for Ammonia.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Sound like you're really almost there though but if I were you I'd pick up an ammonia test kit too. You will need it in the future including if the increased biology causes the ammonia level to raise at all once you drop the peacocks in..

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
No, you don't need more stability if you have fish in the tank. How do you think tanks were cycled before such products existed? :) also, from what I am to understand, prime when dosed at the recommended dosage will detoxify 1ppm of ammonia, nitrite etc. So for 2ppm you dose twice the tanks capacity, 3ppm three times the tanks capacity etc (<--- if I'm wrong here, can someone correct me please, as its what I do with my tanks. :)). You will have to double check this - it was quite a while ago that I read it on the Seachem site, so they may have changed that now.

Disclaimer: Always do your own research! Never just assume what has worked for someone else will work for you, because that's not how it works in the wonderful world of aquariums. :D

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
I would suggest picking up a liquid test kit instead of strips, the accuracy of strip tests can be questioned. Looks like your cycle is almost done.
After buying a liquid test kit ($20), live rock ($80), fish tank with a filter, heater and light ($400), saechem prime ($12), seachem safe ($15), and soon to buy 8 peacocks at $15 a pop, i dont have the money for a liquid test kit, over $70 at my lfs. I think i can do without it, :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store