Is my flowerhorn a male or female?

Hunterpearson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2020
Just got a new flowerhorn can’t tell if it’s a male or female can someone help me

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
It looks to be female from how the body shape is and the lack of any kok. The only thing is that you won't know for certain whether it's male or female untill ya vent it. Basically all ya have to do is take the fish out of the tank, hold it upside down, and look at the 2 holes by the anal fin. If the hole closest to the fin is larger then the one further away from the fin it's a female, if the hole closest to the fin is smaller then the other hole it's a male.

Hunterpearson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2020
It looks to be female from how the body shape is and the lack of any kok. The only thing is that you won't know for certain whether it's male or female untill ya vent it. Basically all ya have to do is take the fish out of the tank, hold it upside down, and look at the 2 holes by the anal fin. If the hole closest to the fin is larger then the one further away from the fin it's a female, if the hole closest to the fin is smaller then the other hole it's a male.
It still is pretty small so if it is a male about when should it’s kok come in?

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Some females have larger nuchal humps than males. It's genetics. How they're bred.
That being said your fish doesn't seem to have the genetics to produce much of a hump based off how it looks now. You do have a lower grade flowerhorn and it will grow up looking mostly like an amphilophus trimaculatus. Nothing wrong with that except it makes it harder to find pure trimacs in the hobby. Still has potential to be a cool fish just maybe not what you were looking for. This is where I would go if I was going to get another flowerhorn. https://aquacraze.com/shop/ols/categories/flowerhorn

Reactions: Ruturaj

Hunterpearson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2020
That being said your fish doesn't seem to have the genetics to produce much of a hump based off how it looks now. You do have a lower grade flowerhorn and it will grow up looking mostly like an amphilophus trimaculatus. Nothing wrong with that except it makes it harder to find pure trimacs in the hobby. Still has potential to be a cool fish just maybe not what you were looking for. This is where I would go if I was going to get another flowerhorn. https://aquacraze.com/shop/ols/categories/flowerhorn
I looked at their website and all of their Flowerhorns are out of stock are there any other good websites where I can find good Flowerhorns?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store