Is there a way to lower timidness in Piranhas?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So I have heard that Piranha's are usually very timid in nature but was wondering what ways there are to counteract this other than adding more fish. Can interacting with them or having a certain environment do anything to change their timid nature?

Reactions: tlindsey

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Not that i know of. But im sure more experienced people will shime in here. Piranhas ar really timid and booring fish to keep. They are kind of afraid of their own shadow.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
All species of Piranha aren't timid lol. Manueli and Rhombeus when mature will not be afraid to greet you. I suggest not setting the aquarium in a high traffic area. Bright lights may not be liked. If I setup a aquarium with Redbelly Piranha I would use tannins.

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
not all piranhas are timid...sometimes you get an aggressive fish even at juvi stages. all my piranha tanks don't have hiding spots. I keep it simple...all natural sand type gravel with a big driftwood and natural light (not direct sunlight). if you provide hiding spots like lots of plants they will hide and if you keep the tank simple and lots of swimming space they tend to be more active. you don't go into keeping piranhas bec you think they are killers...you will be disappointed. they all have different personalities...I just love them all.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
All species of Piranha aren't timid lol. Manueli and Rhombeus when mature will not be afraid to greet you. I suggest not setting the aquarium in a high traffic area. Bright lights may not be liked. If I setup a aquarium with Redbelly Piranha I would use tannins.
What about red bellies? Everyone on youtube says they're timid and boring. Not sure what they mean by boring. But is this the case?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
not all piranhas are timid...sometimes you get an aggressive fish even at juvi stages. all my piranha tanks don't have hiding spots. I keep it simple...all natural sand type gravel with a big driftwood and natural light (not direct sunlight). if you provide hiding spots like lots of plants they will hide and if you keep the tank simple and lots of swimming space they tend to be more active. you don't go into keeping piranhas bec you think they are killers...you will be disappointed. they all have different personalities...I just love them all.
And do you have any pictures of your setup? I would love to see how you have it setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store